New owner here with a question or two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner here with a question or two

my starter turns pretty slow, is there a high torque upgrade available? or should I stick with OE, I checked with rockauto and Napa. neither has one listed. It is a delco correct?

2nd question, carburetor, which one is a good replacement, from what I can tell this car had a 2bbl originally it now has a carter AFB, it seems a little shabby, starts hard, flood easy seems to be running rich, maual choke conversion sort of, what would be the correct CFM, jets ect. I would like an electric choke and vacuum secondary

'63 Gran Turismo

mark
    Houston,TX
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

Prestolite is correct, but the Delco will work fine. Bigger battery and starter cables will help, but a starter from a Avanti engine has more torque. Having said that, no reason the factory starter in good shape should not spin the engine over fast enough. A 500 cfm edlebock with electric choke is a great upgrade, especially with a jetting change.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

can you tell me the correct jets?
      Mark Riesch
      New Bern, NC

Comment

make sure you have a good strong battery, good quality battery cables, I despise the crap that they sell at the "flaps" stores. Remove your starter and take it to a local starter/generator shop and have it checked and rebuilt if you can't rebuild it yourself. While you at it have him make you some good quality cables here is a case where SIZE does matter. Go with at leas the equal that came stock or or a gauge larger.
        Originally posted by TXmark View Post
        my starter turns pretty slow, is there a high torque upgrade available? or should I stick with OE, I checked with rockauto and Napa. neither has one listed. It is a delco correct?

2nd question, carburetor, which one is a good replacement, from what I can tell this car had a 2bbl originally it now has a carter AFB, it seems a little shabby, starts hard, flood easy seems to be running rich, maual choke conversion sort of, what would be the correct CFM, jets ect. I would like an electric choke and vacuum secondary

'63 Gran Turismo

mark
        Houston,TX

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
        57 SH (project)
        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Working...
        X