PDA

View Full Version : 63 Champ Pickup

hdh
11-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Dragged one home tonight.

We'll see if it drives tomorrow!

More details to follow in the next few days...

StudeRich
11-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Not bad, it does not appear to have rust issues at all. A short, wide box, 6 Cyl. 3 speed, Standard Cab, '63 Champ with a rare Black push button Studebaker/Delco radio.

That would make a nice Stude. 289 conversion, with a 3 speed O.D. you would actually be able to DRIVE IT, and HAUL stuff or a trailer if you wanted!

hdh
11-07-2010, 01:32 AM
fingers crossed that the heater works too!

i like the idea of a studebaker v8 in it someday. In the meantime, I'll blast around with the little six and stalk on the column and be content unless it's a complete dog.

I have some plans for it otherwise, but first it needs a thorough bath, inventory of what's working and not, a complete checkover and service and new old plates. I have a set of original 63 ca black plates for it from an earlier project that should look perfect on it.

StudeRich
11-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Just be sure that it's NOT a 3 letters, three numbers CAR plate!
If you don't use a Commercial Plate, the CHP can pull you over and make you get one AND ticket you, the first time you put a 2X4 in it!

I believe that still applies if a year of Mfg. '63 plate is registered as a Historical Vehicle plate, just like any Truck.
Actually even more so if you have a YOM or HV plate, because you are not allowed to haul with those or use everyday at all.
On the other hand, many people take that chance and many times the law is so busy gawking at your Classic Vehicle, they don't even look at the plate! :D

BobPalma
11-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Nice little truck. (You guys in CA make us midwesterners jealous.) BP

JRoberts
11-07-2010, 05:51 AM
That is a nice truck. Congratulations.

irish
11-07-2010, 06:49 AM
If you don't use a Commercial Plate, the CHP can pull you over and make you get one AND ticket you, the first time you put a 2X4 in it!

I believe that still applies if a year of Mfg. '63 plate is registered as a Historical Vehicle plate, just like any Truck.
Actually even more so if you have a YOM or HV plate, because you are not allowed to haul with those or use everyday at all.
On the other hand, many people take that chance and many times the law is so busy gawking at your Classic Vehicle, they don't even look at the plate! :D

I'm technically off-topic but have things really become that bad in CA?

Joe

55champion
11-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Nice find.

irish
11-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Congrats on the truck and welcome to the forum! I got my first champ truck (also a 63) this summer.

Joe

GTCruiser
11-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Nice bed. Got one home last year and with a bed shaped like a roller coaster. It had hauled a lot of firewood.

studeclunker
11-07-2010, 09:03 AM

I'm technically off-topic but have things really become that bad in CA?

Joe

YOM commercial plates can haul freight here in California. However, historical and auto-plates cannot. In fact, if one is driving a car with historical plates and has a bag of groceries, even in the front seat, they are risking a citation. CHP has always been anal-retentive on this issue.

I'm just not sure that '63 plates will be allowed. The YOM plates thing here in California cuts off at either '63 or '64 and they're not willing to allow any exceptions.

Congrats on an exceptional find though!:D

hdh
11-07-2010, 09:55 AM
We'll see what the DMV has to say early this week and I'll let you all know! I expect they'll just charge me extra as usual~!

Off to clean it out, get some gas and a fresh battery. Bonus - it's raining now... get to test those vacuum lines.

hdh

laughinlark
11-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Nice truck. It has electric wipers that will serve you well. Really like your avatar too.

Gordon

JeffDeWitt
11-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Nice find, looks a lot like mine except as a 60 I've got the narrow bed.

Like yours mine was originally a six cylinder but was converted to V8 before I got it. If you want to make the conversion and want some suggestions on how to do it I'll send you details about how mine was done.

Do exactly the opposite and you should be in good shape!

Reading the DMV reminds me of yet another reason why I'm glad I live on the opposite coast!

Alan
11-07-2010, 03:00 PM
The DMV is the reason I joined AAA. It is the Highway Patrol that is a pain in the butt.

hdh
11-07-2010, 08:46 PM
need to figure out a fuel delivery problem. carb seems to be pumping fine, and the line is clear from the tank, so I suspect the fuel pump. starts, and idled for a while, but now won't start or run unless some starting fluid is used. electical seems to be sending spark ok and I cleaned out all the electrical contacts and brushed off the rotor.

anyway, if anyone knows, is the fuel bowl in the filter supposed to be full? Also, I used a more modern x-referenced filter in the bowl and I'm hoping it's ok (not familiar with how these work)

I vacuumed @ 3 gallons of nut shells out from behind the seat - squirrel parties for years back there I guess. At least it's cleaned out now.

short list of needed goodies for the week and hopefully drive it next saturday a.m. to the local meet!

Alan
11-07-2010, 10:06 PM
I have never seen the bowl completely full, half to 2/3rds is what mine ran.

laughinlark
11-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Check the rubber hose from the steel fuel line to the pump for cracks. If that checks out ok I would pull the fuel pump off the engine. Then pull the screws out that hold the diaphragm. Carefully separate the top from bottom. Inspect the diaphragm for cracks or tears. Then check the two valves in the body. Make sure there isn't anything sticking one open like rust, nut shell, ect... I would put a Fram #G-2 fuel filter in before the pump so you can see what is coming from the tank.

Gordon

hdh
11-08-2010, 12:22 AM
thanks, will dissassemble it and take a look. much of the other rubber systems - cooling in particular - need replacing, so wouldn't surprise me if the pump isn't able to pump due to cracks in the diaphram.

there was a fair amount of what appeared to be fresh metal shavings along with rusty gunk at the bottom of the bowl when I first cleaned it out. Also, as you can see in the photo, the og filter was a rusty mess itself. checked the line back to the tank and it's good and clear.

Mark57
11-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Welcome to the Forum and the world of Stude trucks. If you have not already done so, I would strongly recommend you join the SDC and get connected to all things Studebaker both internationally and locally. You will find your ownership much more enjoyable.:cool:
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/joinsdc.asp (http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/joinsdc.asp)

Of course, if you are already a member, forgive the advertisement! ;)

candbstudebakers
11-08-2010, 11:54 AM
I have black truck plates if needed and also a side door window, maybe other items as well....Bob

hdh
11-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Bob, Thanks!

I need that window! Have to try to work out timing later in the week. PM or email me for price, etc...

Avanti on the salt - music to my eyes!

I'll confirm with the DMV this week whether or not my plates will work. If not, I'll discuss those with you too.

Oh, and I have joined the SDC too! Should be fun.

hdh
11-08-2010, 10:15 PM
short list for tomorrow's a.m. order

gas cap, fuel pump parts, oil cap(breather), thermostat, coil, rotor, cap, plug wires, plugs, condensor(s), spare keys, glove box, radiator hoses, soft brake lines

should make it safe and driveable with luck!

Jeff, if I get to V8 stage someday, I'll ping you for the hazard map. Gordon and Alan, thank you for the details and advice.

rjohnston79
11-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Congrats on a fine looking truck :)

Trulyvintage
11-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Nice find

Keep it original - it will be worth more to a true collector

Ever been to Rosamond?

Jim

hdh
11-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Hey!

It runs and drives now. Brakes are VERY sticky(seems like the rears) and I broke the distributor advance while removing the carb to clean it out - probably why it pops and backfires upon acceleration. Falls out of second gear when descelerating unless the shift lever is held up. Otherwise it seems tight and smooth so far.

Now I have some work to do on the essentials to ensure its road worthy

hdh
02-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Been tinkering. Its running pretty good right now.

Checked off replacement of the soft brake lines, a tune up, oil change just the basics. Ordered my rear tires to mount up to my freshly powdercoated wheels.

Seat was funny - three of the bolts broke when I tried to remove it - and once out I discovered it was raised on some 2 x 2. Anyone know if the 2 x 2" raisers are factory? Drilled out and replaced the broken bolts. NOISY.

Enjoying it.

Alan
02-26-2011, 08:10 PM
My 63 had wood risers under the seats too.

hdh
03-06-2011, 12:48 AM
wood risers appear to be necessary for clearance underneath

seems to run well, if a bit of oil smoke. new advance line i made cured the hiccups

fresh rear hurst ascot cut pie crust rear rubber on - love em!

waiting on door glass and lark-style poverty caps for the front wheels. time to remove the grille, bumpers, tow bar and front brightwork for powdercoating

next up, some interior work and fix those wipers...

hdh
03-06-2011, 12:58 AM
took it out on the road with new rear tires and new license tags. fun early a.m. drive around town

it think this stance looks pretty good as is, but still planning to change out the stock front caps for lark caps and drop the rear @ 2"

8E45E
03-06-2011, 01:19 AM
In fact, if one is driving a car with historical plates and has a bag of groceries, even in the front seat, they are risking a citation. CHP has always been anal-retentive on this issue.

And if you're on your way home from a Show'n'Shine that took place in a shopping mall parking lot, and you need some groceries for that evening or the next morning???

Craig

hdh
08-27-2011, 03:25 AM
So, I've been continuing to wrench on my Champ occasionally while driving it frequently since my last post here. Its a nice little hauler - friendly - and its been teaching much about Studebakers, old wiring, hillholder systems, etc... I plan to keep it and keep driving it as much as possible through the fall and winter!

Currently I have the stock 170 6 motor apart to deal with low compression and too much valve train clatter from a stuck/damaged exhaust valve in #5 cylinder. Once the motor was apart it was obvious it has been leaking between several of the cylinders too. Once the head is back from the shop and in, I expect it to run as well as it now stops, turns, and generates conversations.

The rear end on this is short-geared(in the 4's), so highway driving is interesting and too slow with the stock 3 speed. I like to use it as my "airport" car when I travel for work which requires a freeway haul. Also, it doesn't like to stay in 2nd gear when decelerating regardless of how well lubed and bushed the linkages are so it likely needs a trans rebuild as is. If i have to pull the stock trans, I'd prefer to put an OD or 4 speed unit back in its place. I'm wondering which truck 4 speed and/or 3 OD transmission models will directly bolt up to my current bell housing and gain me a few mph / drop a few rpms at 60 mph or so - and use the same clutch, linkage, etc... if any?

thanks in advance

Chucks Stude
08-27-2011, 09:59 AM
The second gear problem might be a soggy rear motor mount.

hdh
08-27-2011, 10:34 PM
thanks for the tip on the second gear issue - I'll check the mounts.

any direction on the 4 speed or OD options?

hdh

jackb
08-27-2011, 10:40 PM
2nd gear drop out could also mean mis-matched engine-bell housing

Xcrbudman
11-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I have a 63 with the wood risers also..I thought it was a rig job from some past owner! Does your seat go all the way to the back of the cab? Mine does not.

Dean McHenry
11-02-2011, 12:23 AM
In all of the Champ trucks I have seen I would have to say that The wood blocks are stock they all have them .
The seat is the same as the Lark types ,And The floor pan is the same as well, except an overlay riser was added on top in order to clear the fuel tank and frame rails,hence the blocks to manage to clear the center of the seat.
This adds a bit to the lack of head /leg room in Champ trucks as compared to the 58/9 lark cars. The seat should go to the back of the cab+ as the rails are the same as the car, but the cab back gives no relief for the seat back rake as in the cars so should snug up against the back of the cab just as tight as you are willing to shove it back.. DMc

LarkTruck
11-02-2011, 05:55 AM
In all of the Champ trucks I have seen I would have to say that The wood blocks are stock they all have them .
The seat is the same as the Lark types ,And The floor pan is the same as well, except an overlay riser was added on top in order to clear the fuel tank and frame rails,hence the blocks to manage to clear the center of the seat.
This adds a bit to the lack of head /leg room in Champ trucks as compared to the 58/9 lark cars. The seat should go to the back of the cab+ as the rails are the same as the car, but the cab back gives no relief for the seat back rake as in the cars so should snug up against the back of the cab just as tight as you are willing to shove it back.. DMc

Anyone have a pair of these risers for sale? Or can anyone make me a pattern from theirs? Thanks. Jim S.

Dean McHenry
11-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi Jim I am pretty sure I have a set Ill dig them up for you later today.. DMc

LarkTruck
11-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks Dean, let me know. Jim S.

rbruner
11-02-2011, 06:36 PM
I used 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 14" perforated steel tubing purchased at Lowes. My wood blocks were mismatched & makeshift wood. My seat would also not go back far enough. Previous owner had installed a giant boombox behind the seat. The pre-drilled holes in the tubing allow for easy floor mounting & bolting the seat to the new track. [ I got rid of the boombox]

whacker
11-02-2011, 06:41 PM
I think you should be able to use a T-96 transmission from a 6 cylinder Lark with overdrive, I think that would match to your bellhousing. If not, a T-86 would probably fit. Both of those are available with overdrive. You would have to shorten your drive shaft.

Dean McHenry
11-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Jim... I scrounged up a set of them, and they are usable.. Happy to send them to you at a very good price....FREE, just need an address. DMc

Xcrbudman
11-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks Dean, Good info on the seat!

pdrnec
11-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Nice find

Ever been to Rosamond?

Jim

Love the big track - even though turn 9 scares me to death. Last race there on a Ducati 1098 I busted 170 on the straight - pucker factor was about 9.5
For pure knee-dragging fun the Streets of Willow Springs is the place to be.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225895_6790876823_617426823_316969_1584_n.jpg

pdrnec
11-03-2011, 01:58 PM
took it out on the road with new rear tires and new license tags. fun early a.m. drive around town

it think this stance looks pretty good as is, but still planning to change out the stock front caps for lark caps and drop the rear @ 2"

That's a handsome truck!

LarkTruck
11-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Jim... I scrounged up a set of them, and they are usable.. Happy to send them to you at a very good price....FREE, just need an address. DMc

Dean, PM sent. Thanks. Jim

Ron Dame
11-03-2011, 05:21 PM
That could happen, I had teh same problem but mine was due to a worn transmission. Alignment of the bellhousing is crucial, and it is a common probem if the engine is not original to the truck

My Champ also has the wooden risers.

thanks for the tip on the second gear issue - I'll check the mounts.

any direction on the 4 speed or OD options?

hdh

Ron Dame
11-03-2011, 05:25 PM
The '8E5 and 8E10 both used a V8 bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, etc, and the crank is bored for a pilot bearing, unlike earlier 6's. A T89 from a V8 will fit just fine too.

I think you should be able to use a T-96 transmission from a 6 cylinder Lark with overdrive, I think that would match to your bellhousing. If not, a T-86 would probably fit. Both of those are available with overdrive. You would have to shorten your drive shaft.

LarkTruck
11-06-2011, 07:01 PM

Hey Dean,
Check your private messages. I sent you my address.
Jim S.

Dean McHenry
11-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Hi Jim

I'll bundle them up and send them to you tomorrow. Hope they are worth the postage to you. DMc

kmac530
11-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Nice Truck hdh. I am glad someone bumped this thread. I had not seen it. That truck is really coming along.
I also love the Avatar. I grew up literally across the street from Ascot raceway. So I especially love your rear tires named after my childhood hang out spot. On the racetrack comments, growing up 100 yards away from the world famous J.C. Agajanian's Ascot Raceway also put me only a couple of miles from the sadly defunct Lions Dragstrip. We also ALWAYS attended the Bug Ins and OCIR. Carlsbad raceway held the USGP of motocross. Man does anyone else remember when So Cal was a hub of motorsports and racing?

TrulyVintage, I love the big track at Willow. I have not gotten to ride or drive on the Streets course, but the big track is awesome. First place I ever raced a RoadRace motorcycle was at Willow. 1988, the track was so open in some areas and so technical in others. Turn 9 was tough but if you hit the marks well you were fine. The tough part was the off camber areas in turns 4 and the transition in to 5. So fun. I was on a box stock 1987 GSXR 750 with the stock Conti Bias ply tires and stock exhaust. I ran 1:30 laps all day long. Not fast by todays times, but decent for 23 years ago.

LarkTruck
11-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Hi Jim

I'll bundle them up and send them to you tomorrow. Hope they are worth the postage to you. DMc

Hey Dean, The risers arrived today, many thanks! "The check is in the mail" Jim