Trunk spring 53 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk spring 53 Coupe

Is there any good trick to remove/install the trunk spring without bleeding?
    I checked the manual and no soap there.

Thanks

John

Stack of nickels, or dimes, (or washers if you are a true CASO).
    Push them in with a set of needle nosed pliers until it gets long enough to pop off.
    Repeat and pull them out one by one to re-install.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The only thing I would add to what Jeff said is to orientate the hinge to a position where the spring is stretched out some before inserting the washers, nickels or silver dollars. Makes it easier to insert them. After doing that move the hinge to a position where the hinge spring tension is relaxed some and it will almost fall off. As I was not going to use my springs again I did not want to tie up my money so I used washers instead. Its the CASO way!
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks guys, I had thought of something along that line as well, glad to see someone has done it tho. Thanks again.

Comment

Dimes aren't thick enough. Nickels work best; probably cheaper than washers.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I think a brake spring installation tool would be quicker, easier, and safer.

Comment

Originally posted by jallen View Post
              I think a brake spring installation tool would be quicker, easier, and safer.
              Not so. Those hinge springs are quite a lot stronger than typical brake springs. The nickel idea is the safest by far. One nickel falls out, no biggie. With the brake spring tool, it's all or nothing, and if it loses its grip, you have a missile on the loose.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
              X