63 R2 Hawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 R2 Hawks

How many 1963 Full Package R2 Powershift Hawks were produced?
    Allen

Um...... all of them?

Yeah, I know. My kids call me a smart a$$ too.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 11-04-2010, 05:51 AM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

There were 276 R2 1963 Hawks built. I do not have the exact breakdown that you are looking for.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by satdoc2 View Post
        How many 1963 Full Package R2 Powershift Hawks were produced?
        Allen
        42 1963 R2 package Hawks, best quess, about half were Powershift.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

OK, here's the actual production totals for 1963 Full Package, R2 Super Hawks:

Four-Speeds: 16. Of the sixteen 4-speeds, here are the colors:

Ermine White: 2
          Regal Red: 2
          Champagne Gold: 2
          Super Red: 9
          Rose Mist: 1

Powershift: 26. Of the 26 Powershift cars, here are the colors:

Ermine White: 2
          Regal Red: 1
          Champagne Gold: 1
          Super Red: 21
          Velvet Black: 1
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I guess everyone liked red.
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1958 Commander "Christine"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

Obviously, the trick with these cars is VERIFYING by Serial Number, IF the Hawk truly IS a genuine "Super "Hawk" or just one of many Avanti Powered or Avanti Supercharged Hawks some of which have; ALL, SOME OF, or NONE of the "Package peculiar Components".
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I guess everyone liked red.
                Super Red was a new color developed specifically for the package cars, There's a good chance S-P just painted the first 30 produced Super Red and the others colors were to order.

A check of production dates may disprove this hypothesis, but it would be consistent with the way manufacturers introduced a new model or option back in the day.

jack vines
                Last edited by PackardV8; 11-04-2010, 09:08 AM.
                PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  Super Red was a new color developed specifically for the package cars, There's a good chance S-P just painted the first 30 produced Super Red and the others colors were to order.

jack vines
                  Super Red isn't a real deep, lustrous color, but I do like the 'exclusivity' of it--it is rarely seen.

I remember Nelson Bove's terrific Super Red '63 GT with R2 and Powershift at the South Bend 2007 International meet. I'm thinking it had been a museum car. Gorgeous.
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    There were 276 R2 1963 Hawks built. I do not have the exact breakdown that you are looking for.
                    Does that figure include the 20 or so that were produced in Hamilton? Their engine # has an 'JTSC' prefix.

Craig
                    Last edited by 8E45E; 11-05-2010, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      Does that figure include the 20 or so that were produced in Hamilton? Their engine # has an 'SJTC' prefix.

Craig
                      No, Craig; it does not. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob
                        I imagine the white cars, two four speeds and two power shifts, were the introductory cars??
                        Bill,
                        Yes my '63 R2 super red GT did come out of a museum in Denver. It is an unbelievable survivor. All the paint on the car is original, original carpets, seats, chrome, radiator hoses and clamps etc. The trouble with all that is I'm now afraid to drive it. It really belongs in a museum but the one that had it did not seem to appreciate it as they never had it on displayed but thanks to them it was stored properly in a temp controlled enviroment for 30 plus years. For many years prior to that it was stored in a Denver garage and only driven several miles per year to get inspected and replated. That had to be one of the best hipo Stude finds of the century.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                          I remember Nelson Bove's terrific Super Red '63 GT with R2 and Powershift at the South Bend 2007 International meet. I'm thinking it had been a museum car. Gorgeous.
                          Yes, Bill; the car had spent most of its life in a museum in Colorado. Not on display, though, but gathering dust in a dark, nondescript back room(!) as a donation from the second owner (IIRC) until the museum got tired of it and told the donor's adult son to come get it! (The donor had long since passed away.)

Nelson Bove mounted his white horse and rode out to save it from a possibly terrible fate because it was quite dead, but still original, at that time. The donor's son wanted little to do with it as he had no interest in cars. He did have an interest in money, though, so Nelson didn't exactly steal it <GGG>

I don't think Nelson would mind my sharing what I consider to be one of the more unique "things" about that car.

To wit: The second owner bought it in 1966 or 1967 as a used car...now remember, this is a legitimate, full-package R2 Super Hawk in Super Red....and I believe it had miles in the teens when that second owner bought it.

Anyway, as a used car, it had the keys hanging on a regular, used-car dealer stock tag. That 1966/1967 dealer stock tag still exists with one set of keys on it. On the back of the tag is written: 1963 Stude. $1,895.

Ah, pleasant dreams, eh? BP

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                            Bob
                            I imagine the white cars, two four speeds and two power shifts, were the introductory cars??
                            That's close, Nels: One of the 2 Ermine White 4-speeds and one of the 2 Ermine White Powershift R2 package Hawks were built right when the package cars were introduced. The other two were mixed in later in production with little apparent notariety as to sequence. BP

Comment

Anyway, as a used car, it had the keys hanging on a regular, used-car dealer stock tag. That 1966/1967 dealer stock tag still exists with one set of keys on it. On the back of the tag is written: 1963 Stude. $1,895.

Oh, man, what a story!

I've had two SDC'ers approach me in the past 20 or so years and tell me that en route to Pymatuning State Park near where I grew up, they saw a black '64 R2 Cruiser on the local Chevy dealer's used lot, and it looked pretty good. That was the Service Manager of Filer's car, which I've heard about but never saw. In '70 I was riding my bike a lot to the Chevy dealer but I don't remember that car. Bummer!

Super Red reminds me to bring this old story out again...just to 'bump' it. Hecker Motor Co. of Hollidaysburg, PA sold a new Super Red '63 Lark Custom 2-door sedan, complete R2 Super package, Powershift, with white Skytop and solid black vinyl bucket seats. Serial no. 63V-31238. I wrote the fellow who was listed as the owner per info in the SNM and received a shaky handwritten response that said, "Bob Hecker was a friend of mine but I don't remember owning that car". I'd sure love to find that one...but in SW PA, I'm afraid I know what happened to it.
                              Last edited by Bill Pressler; 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM.
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X