• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana (Carolina) Jones

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

John

Keep digging you may find the mint 51 Steering Wheel you forgot about.

Bob

Comment

I don't believe the kinkg pins will work on your 51. The frames were completely redesigned for the 51 model year and they used a version of it all the way to the end.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        I don't believe the kinkg pins will work on your 51. The frames were completely redesigned for the 51 model year and they used a version of it all the way to the end.
        I believe you are thinking of the Champions. It is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the suspension on the Commanders and Land Cruisers, were changed to the center point style steering in 1950. The '50 Champion is a "one-off" year design.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

No, In fact The Commander of 50 was unique to that year too. The center pivot was held to the frame with three bolts instead of four.
          And the tie rod ends were larger and had a different tapir to them. Also, the Commanders(and Land Cruisers) had lever shocks which were built into the upper controll arm mounting. The anti sway bar ran behind the A-arms instead of in front.
          Oh, and the lower control arms are different too
          Find you parts books and take a closer look.
          Last edited by bezhawk; 11-03-2010, 05:20 PM.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Don't worry. I will not start ripping things apart until I know for sure. If I can't find the '51 book, I might need someone here to look the numbers up for me.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Today I continued the search for wheel cylinders. This time I moved to another stash in a different building. I am ashamed that I have all this stuff so poorly organized. In fact, organized is not a term that could be appropriately applied. One of my sayings is that I spend half my time organizing the rest of my time into disarray. However, this exercise has not been fruitless. It is a humbling reminder of how true the saying in my signature really is...Life really is what happens while you are making plans.

I found one box of NOS seat belts along with mounting hardware. A box of window regulators, a box of engine bearings, valves, and even a box of various years of neat shiny chrome stuff. A box of oil pump kits, NOS gauges, switches, gaskets, and even some of those little windshield washer foot pumps. A neat set of Studebaker part number AC-2699 Door Handle Ornamental Guards. These are in an original box and I think SI sells them for $60.

I even found a box of what looks like big truck wheel stud bolts and lug nuts. This is what happens when you buy estate stuff in box lots and store them with plans to organize and sort them later. I need to suck it up, get organized and start selling this stuff to folks who could use them.

I just flat ran out of energy today, so the search for wheel cylinders will continue tomorrow. If I would get busy and start selling some of the stuff I don't need, I could afford to pay confiscatory prices for new wheel cylinders.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
              X