Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you identify which torque converter you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you identify which torque converter you have?

We pulled the engine tonight on the '57 Golden Hawk, and removed the transmission and torque converter. I cannot find any identifying numbers on the torque convertor that look anything like the part number in the Chassis Catalog. (someone installed a Ford transmission in the past, but it APPEARS the bell-housing is the original, as the dowels/holes were not disturbed at all, so I am wondering if I also have the original Golden Hawk converter or not?). I was able to buy the 'correct' Flight-o-matic from a fellow SDC member (thanks to this forum!), complete with torque convertor, but that one doesn't have a number either, and has 'remanufactured' stamped on it. They both have a set of numbers stamped in them (similar but not identical to each other) but nothing at all like the part number in the catalog; may just be serial numbers...?
    So, how do you identify a torque converter? The '57 Golden Hawk converter was unique (common with the '58 GH and Packard Hawk...?) so obviously I'd like to install the correct one. Thanks!

The stall speed code is a two digit Alpha, like FP stamped into the front face but I can't remember all of the various ones for 259, 289, '57 Supercharged 289, '63-'64 R2 Supercharged etc. sorry, maybe someone has archived the info.

The Industry Standard re-builder code for just about all Studebaker V-8 Converters is S2, only shown on the Box. I think the re-builders just mix them all up and you get the luck of the draw on rebuilds, and they all work, as there is little difference anyway, except maybe the '63-'64 R2.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      The stall speed code is a two digit Alpha, like FP stamped into the front face but I can't remember all of the various ones for 259, 289, '57 Supercharged 289, '63-'64 R2 Supercharged etc. sorry, maybe someone has archived the info.

The Industry Standard re-builder code for just about all Studebaker V-8 Converters is S2, only shown on the Box. I think the re-builders just mix them all up and you get the luck of the draw on rebuilds, and they all work, as there is little difference anyway, except maybe the '63-'64 R2.
      Hi. I like your information. Thanks to it. I can immediately identify the converter if you will demo it in photos or in some clips. Do you have it?

Comment

This is slightly off topic, but ....

Rich, my '55 has a lock-up clutch inside the converter. Is this common to all Studebaker converters, or just the DG's?

Comment

here are photos of my two torque converters; one came from an engine that was pulled from a '57 Golden Hawk, and the other one is from my '57 Golden Hawk (but a Ford tranny was installed so I'm not sure if t.c. is original/correct or not). The number on the one from my car is 57459-BB, and the other one is stamped 28241-BB (crudely scratched out), and also 10969-F Remanufactured on the other side of it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Any information or confirmation these are actually Golden Hawk converters? Where would I find the stall-speed codes for the various engines? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
              This is slightly off topic, but ....
              Rich, my '55 has a lock-up clutch inside the converter. Is this common to all Studebaker converters, or just the DG's?
              No Tom, you may remember that Studebaker advertised the fuel saving feature of their "Studebaker Automatic Drives" because they had a lock-up in high gear. There is 0 slippage in high gear. When you have a worn sprag about to go South, you can hear it idling in Park going: chang, chang, chang.
              Flight-O-Matics are more like Fords, and have no lock-up Converter.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I want to say that the number stamped into the body of the TC is a serial number not a part number, and I don't have the magic decoder ring for those. Don't know if it exists or not... if it does, a pointer would be appreciated just for future reference!

nate
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                X