PDA

View Full Version : Nice 52 with good question

Bob Andrews
11-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Like the car a lot but read the Q&A at the bottom; brings up a question I've always wondered: Why would people bid a couple hundred or less on an obvious multi-thousand dollar item? They know there's no way they'll meet the reserve, so what's the point? Boredom maybe?

Better yet, the first bidder opened it at 99 cents- and that was his high bid! As the question asker said- Dimwits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1952-STUDEBAKER-COMMANDER-Sedan-Video-Off-Body-Rebuild-/250719794101?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a601073b5

Last week I went to a body shop retirement auction. There was a spotless downdraft spray booth, 6 years old, cost over $40K new. While the auctioneer was looking for an opening bid this one genius kept loudly trying to bid $10! The auctioneer ignored him while he got more animated, then finally said, "Won't even consider that, go cash your check" and continued on.

I thought, there's somebody the CASO community would love to have as a member;)

BTW, my high bid of $3200 on the booth was a no-sale. Good thing, then I'd have HAD to go to work:) I did buy a tire machine, 10 paint guns, hand tools, benches, a whole buttload of stuff:o

11-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Like the car a lot but read the Q&A at the bottom; brings up a question I've always wondered: Why would people bid a couple hundred or less on an obvious multi-thousand dollar item? They know there's no way they'll meet the reserve, so what's the point? Boredom maybe?

Better yet, the first bidder opened it at 99 cents- and that was his high bid! As the question asker said- Dimwits. ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1952-STUDEBAKER-COMMANDER-Sedan-Video-Off-Body-Rebuild-/250719794101?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a601073b5

Nice car indeed. However, the engine appears to be a later engine. The fuel pump is not on top of the engine as was found on '51s through '54s.

DEEPNHOCK
11-02-2010, 08:03 AM
I did that once when I was a kid.
They had a local auction down at the Sportsman's Club in Barbeau, Mich.
I had two quarters in my pocket...burning a hole:eek:..
The auctioneer kept starting new items with "What am I bid on this x?"
I kept shouting out "Two bits!!!"
Of course I never got anywhere...
So, after a few more items he holds up an armful of wire coat hangars.
Must have been 200 of them.
The auctioneer started, and I yelled "Two bits!"
The auctioneer yelled "SOLD!!!"
Shut me up, it did:rolleyes:
Jeff:cool:

<snip> While the auctioneer was looking for an opening bid this one genius kept loudly trying to bid $10! The auctioneer ignored him while he got more animated, then finally said, "Won't even consider that, go cash your check" and continued on.

65cruiser
11-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Well, I think that some people put little pittance bids on Ebay items like that just so they can watch the action.

52-fan
11-02-2010, 09:29 AM
The seller would be disappointed with what I could bid on that car, but if I would love to have it. Commander with overdrive, nice chrome, nothing hacked up. That would be a fine driving machine and pretty near how I would build one myself. The little touches could come later a little at a time.

jclary
11-02-2010, 09:38 AM
I did that once when I was a kid.
They had a local auction down at the Sportsman's Club in Barbeau, Mich.
I had two quarters in my pocket...burning a hole:eek:..
The auctioneer kept starting new items with "What am I bid on this x?"
I kept shouting out "Two bits!!!"
Of course I never got anywhere...
So, after a few more items he holds up an armful of wire coat hangars.
Must have been 200 of them.
The auctioneer started, and I yelled "Two bits!"
The auctioneer yelled "SOLD!!!"
Shut me up, it did:rolleyes:
Jeff:cool:

How many of those coat hangers are welded into the Yellow POS? Is that the secret to its longevity?:)

wolfie
11-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Why would anyone care since the last bid is the only one that matters anyway? I often make low bids on E-bay items just to get them in my bid list since I am much more apt to pay them attention there than if I just add them to my watch list. Steve

Chris Pile
11-02-2010, 10:14 AM
I bid low because every now and then I actually win one!

Johnnywiffer
11-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey, 2 good things, the generator works and it has a really shiny set of stainless (instead of rubber) gravel guards) Won't go far--the gas tank is REALLY empty!

But I'm wondering why a '51 (black) headlight knob and why the left gauge set is in sideways?

Great looking car, tho. I could find a space in my garage!

John

52-fan
11-02-2010, 09:35 PM
The wiper switch looks wrong too, but that's a small point.