1962 Champ OD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Champ OD

So I found a silver pull switch on my champ that is below the rest of the switches that has od imprinted on it. i assume it stands for over drive. got on the interstate for a thirty mile drive today, pulled the lever at about 50mph and I could not hear or feel a differance. the truck is a v6. am i using the od correctly? does anyone have a recomendation as to how fast i may travel in the truck on the intersate for a period of time? still trying to get a good feel for the champ, but really starting to enjoy it.

No that is NOT the way you use the Overdrive! You very rarely would EVER move the Lock-out Handle when the Truck is moving.

When you pulled it out, you took it OUT of Overdrive, it should then be able to DECELERATE.
    Before you did that, was it freewheeling (coasting) when the handle was in? IT SHOULD have been. When the Handle is IN, you only need to go to 28-32 MPH and release the gas pedal to shift from direct to Overdrive in either 2nd. or 3rd. Gear.

Do not forget to ALWAYS remember park it in REVERSE GEAR! That way, if the handle happens to "IN" for IN Overdrive, it will NOT roll away.

How well the Truck does the Interstates would depend on the axle ratio you have, it is marked on a tin tag under a bolt on the Diff. rear cover.
    But with the 6 Cyl. (it IS a in-line 6 Cyl. right?) and the STANDARD axle ratio you would be good for approximately about 45-50 in Direct and maybe 55 to 65 in Overdrive, having a working Temp gauge and watching it closely IS necessary with the OHV 6 Cyl. Engine because sustained higher speeds, and over 2800 RPM will damage the Cyl. head if you overheat it.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-31-2010, 06:26 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Pulling the lever OUT locks the O/D OUT so that you are in direct drive at all times. it 'locks it out'. Pushing it IN puts it IN "O/D ready" mode. With the lever in, at low speeds, under about 30, you should 'freewheel'--let of the gas in 1st or 2nd below these speeds and even with the clutch engaged, the engine should go back to idle without slowing you down, but accelerate and it will re-engage. If you think of a derailleur gear mechanism on a 3 or 10 speed bike & you get the idea. Another bad side effect of freewheeling is that even IN 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear with the engine off, it should roll forward (!) Which, is why with overdrive, you just get used to always putting in reverse for parking, and putting on the handbrake as well. The good effect of freewheeling is that you can shift gears without using the clutch under 30 mph--just let it drop back to idle to unload the drivetrain, shift and re-accelerate. Well, a lot of people just use the clutch, but once you get used to it it make stop and go traffic a breeze--you only have to use the clutch if coming to a full stop.
      Above about 30, a governor on the driveshaft-think of a magneto bike light as they used to run on tires, and you get the idea--finally puts out enough of a charge to 'lock up' the transmission--above 30 you should have engine braking even if overdrive is 'enabled'. If you drive one, shift to two and hold to about 35, then take your foot off the gas for a second or two, then it should if all is well be in overdrive 2nd, or about 3rd gear, when you re-accelerate. If you go 1-2-3 fairly quickly and accelerate up past 30, when you back off for a second or two, it should be in overdrive 3rd, which is like a 4th gear. 1-2-2o/d, then finally to 3rd o/d, is really good for accelerating onto a freeway. With my wagon for regular driving, I usually go 1-2-3-3rd overdrive, and the overdrive is ALWAYS enabled.

You have to back off for a second or so, to allow the overdrive to engage. Whether you go into overdrive in 2nd or 3rd, when you re-accelerate you should notice a drop in RPM (30%). If there IS no difference, it isn't working. If that happens, its usually electrical in nature--broken wire, bad contact on governor, blown fuse, stuck kickdown switch, or sometimes simple mechanical like the lockout cable not going all the way, etc. Its a pretty robust system overall. If you DON'T have free-wheeling at any time, that is something else.

Also, do you really have a V6? Studebaker never made one--its either a V8 or an inline 6, unless someone has changed the engine at some time.

Troubleshooting isn't all that difficult--you just have to test a bunch of things step by step.

Don't move that lever when you are moving! Well, you can if you know exactly what you are going, and how to do it, but as a regular rule, DON'T, because you either have it locked out if you are going up and down 10% grades at low speeds and you don't want to ride the brakes all the time, or you have it enabled all the time. I don't lock out my overdrive more than once or twice a year, and its mostly to make sure the cable isn't stiff or seized.

Hey, I just noticed we have spanned the continent--Washington, Louisiana, and Prince Edward Island
      Last edited by Jim B PEI; 10-31-2010, 06:40 PM. Reason: geography

Comment

makes sence. so in general should i only turn the overdrive off when parked. should i leave it off in the city. the braking system of the truck is not very good. i have to keep a good distance to stop in time at fast speeds. the wheels lock up easily. the transmission helps. i adjusted the brakes today and all apperars well. with the od in the off position will it help to stop quicker. thanks

hey jim, your correct, it's an inline 6. i'm excited to try it out. hope i didn't ruin anything. i was pushing and pulling that lever like it's nobody business.
        Last edited by mrhingle; 10-31-2010, 06:52 PM.

Comment

No real need to change the overdrive handle at all. When you stop and park, just put it in reverse and it won't roll back or forwards.

Really, it makes more sense to find out why your brakes aren't working all that well. The big drums should work well if all is adjusted right, left/right, front/back--not 2010 power ABS/disc strong, but very good. I wouldn't like to depend on engine braking, that's sortof a last resort! Are fronts or rear locking up? It sort of sounds like you have to re-adjust your front brakes to get them to 'pull their own weight'--if you are mostly stopping with the rears, you will have rear-wheel lockup under hard braking and only about 35% braking force.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhingle View Post
            makes sence. so in general should i only turn the overdrive off when parked. should i leave it off in the city. the braking system of the truck is not very good. i have to keep a good distance to stop in time at fast speeds. the wheels lock up easily. the transmission helps. i adjusted the brakes today and all apperars well. with the od in the off position will it help to stop quicker. thanks
            If you carefully READ post #2 these questions already have been answered.

You need to understand, you are not "turning" the Overdrive "OFF" exactly, because although it does opperate by the use of an electrical Solenoid, it is mainly MECHANICAL, so you are not switching it OFF, you are SHIFTING the Overdrive with a CABLE not a wire.

Also, I said to always use REVERSE when parking, then it is not necessary to worry about remembering to pull the handle out.

If the Brakes lock-up that easily most likely one or more wheel cylinders are seized causing one or more wheels to lock, remove the drums and check the brakes.

When I adjust brakes, I adjust them to just begin to NOT TOUCH the drums, dragging is not good, it will overheat the linings.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 10-31-2010, 07:24 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

hey jim, your correct, it's an inline 6. i'm excited to try the OD out. hope i didn't ruin anything. i was pushing and pulling that lever like it's nobody business.

Brakes: I adjusted all four brakes to the point of a similar slight friction on the wheels. noticed 2 adjustments in the front; for each wheel, and on in the rear. should i make the drag in the front more than that of the rear wheels.

Comment

studerich, answered before i read your post. i'll check the brakes. Thanks

Comment

By the way, here is a good site http://www.raylinrestoration.com/ and go to the technical pages link to get an overview and trouble shooting guide to overdrive

(among many such sites, but especially also see Bob Johnstons great resource pages at the entry to the SDC site for tons of great tech info--enough to keep you busy for months)

Comment

Working...
                  X