Warren Packard III passes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Packard III passes away

Reading my local hometown paper yesterday and came across this obit, that caught my eye. Warren Packard III passed away. According to the write up he was the great grand child of the founders of Packard. For the full acitcle go to The Warren Tribune news paper and take a look. From what I can tell he had all daughters so the name may be gone for ever. (Warren Ohio is where Packard started).

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/3yttwfo

Warren is about 35 minutes from me. I thought maybe he was named after the city his grandfather lived in, but being born in 1926 and also being the III, it seemed to just be a family name well before they made Packards in Warren. That's a nice write-up for him in the Trib, not being from Warren.
    Long family history there.

Comment

Where I grew up in Greenville, PA is probably forty miles from Warren, OH. There's a street and commercial block in Greenville called "Packard", and I always heard that this huge obelisk, in the cemetery where my great-grandparents, grandparents, and parents are buried, was for Packard family related to the Packard Motor Car Co. family. While on tour at the Packard Museum in Warren this past year, the tour guide mentioned the one part of the family moving to Greenville without my mentioning it. I believe this huge cemetery obelisk was originally made for Dr. D.B. Packard, whom I believe was the uncle of the founder of the Packard Motor Car Co.:

Waymarking.com is a way to mark unique locations on the planet and give them a voice. While GPS technology allows us to pinpoint any location on the planet, mark the location, and share it with others, Waymarking is the toolset for categorizing and adding unique information for that location.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

You know Studebaker gravesites are worth less than Packard gravesites in Greenville, Bill. Heh heh.

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
          You know Studebaker gravesites are worth less than Packard gravesites in Greenville, Bill. Heh heh.
          Very funny, "Shecky"!

Actually, I did know one family named "Studebaker" when I was a kid, and they had either a '64 or '65 white Cruiser with the red and blue "Studebaker" decal in the back window you see on show cars or at swap meets occasionally. Seems to me they moved up from the Pittsburgh area and didn't live in town long though. Ironically, they lived on York Street!
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
          X