51 Champion Fuel Line Routing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Champion Fuel Line Routing Question

Good evening. Got my tank out, and had a radiator shop clean and seal the inside. I will clean and coat the outside with silver-colored POR-15. I already did the POR-15 treatment to the area of the car's underside where the tank will be returning.

I am replacing the very old steel fuel line, and want to ensure I don't run into a problem with how I route the new one.
    Is it normal that the fuel line that runs up the driver's side frame rail then takes a route behind the pictured sheet metal cover on the frame, near the back of the wheel well (which is also behind the metal splash guard that covers the dimmer switch)? From there, it goes through a rubber patch and into the engine compartment.
    Also, what is the curved item just above the fuel line in the pic, the long flat piece with one hole drilled into it? Is this a moving part (brake pedal?) that will cause interference with the fuel line?

Regards,
    Clarence in Virginia Beach
    Attached Files

The line in my '51 runs under the metal shield rather than behind it. That curved item would be the clutch pedal pivot (if yours is an automatic it would be part of the brake assembly). It is the pivot point so there would be very little arc there. I would probably situate the fuel line a half inch lower just to be safe.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks, Rocke. I'd hesitated having anyone get into the car while it's on jack stands to see if it was the brake, but did so last night.
      I much appreciate the help - I'll run it down low, but with clearance not to rub the bolts just below, adding a clip to ensure
      it doesn't move or drop down onto those bolts sticking up.

Regards,
      Clarence

Comment

Working...
      X