'51 2 door sedan fuel tank issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '51 2 door sedan fuel tank issues

Can anyone direct me to a source for a 12 volt fuel level sender for my gas tank? I also need the rubber boot from the tank to the filler pipe. Any help would be appreciated.

Some of the Studebaker vendors including myself and others stock a universal tank sender which would be the best solution. I assume from your post that the car was changed to 12 volts as originally they were 6 volt systems.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

And if you use a 12 volt sender, you will have to get a 12 volt dash unit, too. The sender and dash unit are a matched set, and you have to change both to convert to 12 volts.

If the original six-volt sender is still OK, the simplest way to do it is to buy a "Runtz" voltage reducer for the gas gauge alone. That will provide a regulated six-volt supply to the original gas gauge. Polarity is not an issue with them (gas gauges). You will have to observe polarity with the Runtz itself.

If your old sending unit is bad, you may be able to install the guts from a later 12-volt Stude gauge into the housing for the '52 gauge, and then use a universal 12-volt sender.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Do you have the 12 volt sender to sell?

Comment

Yes I have one I'd sell. I'll send you a private message. Check notifications at top of page.
          Originally posted by ckltrk View Post
          Do you have the 12 volt sender to sell?
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Try Napa !

Comment

Clktrk, I just bought a rubber boot for the filler to tank (and a grommet for the filler neck inside the gas door compartment) from Studebaker International. Both were inexpensive and readily available for my 51 Champion 4-door.

Clarence in Virginia Beach

Comment

If the gauge and sender both worked on 6V you can just put a Runtz on the back of the gauge and keep using them...

nate
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                X