Studebaker dealers accounting system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker dealers accounting system

Anyone have any idea on how Studebaker dealer recorded new car purchases, trying to locate the original owner of my 62 Hawk threw the dealer records that sold it new, the dealer was Neely and Sons of Moscow Idaho and they donated all their records to the University Of Idaho and have a gal trying to find the info for me but not sure where to start looking as there is a number of boxes of records, any help would sure be helpful.
    Thanks

The Vehicle buyers lists for most cars from the Dealers, are at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, IN. But I believe it would require a search of the records, probably by Car Serial number, and you may have to supply the labor and pay the hourly rate for access to the files.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I know dealers kept big record books on hand instead of computers. I have some of these books in my collection that are from Newman & Altman from 1959 to 1965. They cover employee wages, parts sales, new and used car sales (N&A was also a car dealership besides the SASCO/N&A), misc. sales, the name of the buyer, etc. They also cover service! All of my books have the serial numbers for only NEW Studebakers sold at Newman & Altman, they had A LOT of '64 models.

If anybody has a Stude that was bought new at N&A from '59-'64, let me know and Ill see if it's listed in my books.
      Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 10-27-2010, 05:56 AM.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

The Studebaker Museum has names and addresses of original retail customers, for 1960 and later Studes. Their '63 files are 'patchy'. All you need to do is provide the serial number. They will most likely charge you a minimum $25.00 fee for research and whatever the cost for a copy is...probably $.25. I'll tell you, once they're at that file cabinet, it won't take more than a few minutes at most, assuming your serial no. is there. It will be an old-style 'punch card'.
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
          I know dealers kept big record books on hand instead of computers. I have some of these books in my collection that are from Newman & Altman from 1959 to 1965. They cover employee wages, parts sales, new and used car sales (N&A was also a car dealership besides the SASCO/N&A), misc. sales, the name of the buyer, etc. They also cover service! All of my books have the serial numbers for only NEW Studebakers sold at Newman & Altman, they had A LOT of '64 models.

If anybody has a Stude that was bought new at N&A from '59-'64, let me know and Ill see if it's listed in my books.
          Now that's very interesting, Chris!!! Someday I'd very much like to take a look at those books. IIRC, 1959 was the first year Studebaker changed the employee new vehicle purchase plan around to allow dealers to make as much profit as they could on employee sales.

Comment

Jim, send me a message of a day soon that's good for you and Ill give you my address. You are welcome to them!
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

For those who really wish to pursue this subject in more detail, Stude published the "Standard Accouting System Manual for Studebaker and Packard Dealers" in 1955. A sure cure for insomnia!
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
              X