PDA

View Full Version : Ok, how bought Stude's maken someone else smile

Mike Van Veghten
10-25-2010, 10:23 AM
I went thru my local In & Out drive thru, Saturday afternoon after the So. Cal. Zone Meet (such as it was...!).

A guy, whom I do "not" know...walked out of the building, up to me and said..."I like this one much better than your white one"!
I was in my light blue 54 Conestoga. With Halibrand (9" in the back, 6" in the frt., copys) wheels, slightly lowered.
I said thanks, me too. And he just turned around and back inside the building....with a smile on his face.

The white one is my daily driver 59 Lark, 2dr. wagon.

I thought that was, beside being nice...kinda strange/weird.

Mike

studeclunker
10-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I get that in Weaverville all the time. For instance, two weeks ago, I went to Ace. Whilst I was loading a bag of planting mix and a few small bags of hardware bits, a fellow comes up and remarks,
"Something wrong with the pickup?"
I'd no idea who he was from Adam. "No," I told him, still trying to figure who he was.
"That's a nice wagon, but I like the truck better." he commented.
"Yes, the Champ's a good truck, though I really prefer to drive the wagon. It rides considerably better, the seats are nicer, and it's also quieter." I responded getting more weirded out by the minute with still no idea who the fellow was.
"What's those things sticking out the side of the car?" he asked me, referring to the vent doors.
"Oh, those are the fresh air vent doors. One opens them with a lever to get fresh air into the car," I replied.
"Weird, why didnt' they do it like everyone else?" He asked, grinning and shaking his head.
"Well, Studebaker just liked to be a bit different, I guess," I Posited.
"Well, happy Studebaker-in," he said as a farewell, leaving me standing there confused and bemused. Still, he was smiling the whole time and seemed to genuinely enjoy the car, so who was I to be unfriendly?;)

Aussie Hawk
10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I get that in Weaverville all the time. For instance, two weeks ago, I went to Ace. Whilst I was loading a bag of planting mix and a few small bags of hardware bits, a fellow comes up and remarks,
"Something wrong with the pickup?"
I'd no idea who he was from Adam. "No," I told him, still trying to figure who he was.
"That's a nice wagon, but I like the truck better." he commented.
"Yes, the Champ's a good truck, though I really prefer to drive the wagon. It rides considerably better, the seats are nicer, and it's also quieter." I responded getting more weirded out by the minute with still no idea who the fellow was.
"What's those things sticking out the side of the car?" he asked me, referring to the vent doors.
"Oh, those are the fresh air vent doors. One opens them with a lever to get fresh air into the car," I replied.
"Weird, why didnt' they do it like everyone else?" He asked, grinning and shaking his head.
"Well, Studebaker just liked to be a bit different, I guess," I Posited.
"Well, happy Studebaker-in," he said as a farewell, leaving me standing there confused and bemused. Still, he was smiling the whole time and seemed to genuinely enjoy the car, so who was I to be unfriendly?;)

Over the years I've had a lot of people comment about the side vents on my Hawks, and 54 Champion - about how strange, or nifty idea, or Oh, they put them there instead of at the top.... Maybe it's because I've had Studes since I was 15, but I just never think about them, they are just .... well there.