PDA

View Full Version : Long Island, NY Studebaker Dealers

StudeRich
10-24-2010, 06:31 PM
See the next post that will be properly formatted for those using Firefox.

StudeRich
10-24-2010, 06:34 PM
From the totally unrelated post "Studebakers make you smile", that got a little off topic to talking about a Long Island, NY Studebaker Dealer, here is a post interested New York people are more likely to find:

There are STILL two of the THREE Helms Bros. Inc. Studebaker Dealers on Long Island, STILL selling Mercedes Benz cars.

I think my my '62 Transtar 1 Ton Dually was sold at the Bayside, NY store at: 208-24 Northern Blvd.
It was sold July 9, 1962 by Salesman T. Callahan. to William K. D. Shenkel 39-35 213th. St. Bayside, NY

The invoice says there was one at: 90-02 43rd. Ave. Elmhurst, N.Y. (the Main Store).

And at: 159-02 Northern Blvd. Flushing, NY.

The custom built 9 ft. X 6ft. Pick-up box was built on Long Island by J.C. Truck Equipment Inc. Garden City Park Long Island, NY.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/Loaded%20to%20the%20Forum/IMG_0203.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/studerich/Loaded%20to%20the%20Forum/IMG_0201.jpg

I sure would be interested in ANY more info on the original owner of my Truck, the salesman, the Truck Body Co. or if anyone from the 1962 Helms Bros. Dealerships still LIVES!

64V-K7
10-24-2010, 06:56 PM
I have those 3 Helms bros. listed
Helms Bros. Inc. 90-02 43rd. Ave. Elmhurst, NY
Helms Bros. Inc. 159-02 Northern Blvd. Flushing, NY FLushing 3-6600
Helms Bros. Inc. 208-24 Northern Blvd Bayside, NY BAyside 5-8181

studegary
10-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Even though the three dealership locations are technically on the island referred to as Long Island, I believe that Bayside, Elmhurst and Flushing are all in the Queens borough of New York City. When most people refer to Long Island, they mean the counties of Nassau and Suffolk (east of NYC). I believe that Garden City is in Nassau County on Long Island.

Bud
10-25-2010, 09:40 AM
This thread reminded me that me father bought a new 1962 Hawk from the Bayside Helms Bros dealership. There was Wass Motors on Long Island that sold Studebaskers too, but Helms Bros was a bigger dealership and made my father a better deal on the Hawk. Garden City is in Nassau County on Long Island. I was raised in the next town over from Garden City. Bud

Bud
10-25-2010, 09:45 AM
As an added note, I remember J.C. Truck and equipment being on Denton Ave. in Garden City Park which is right behind the high school I attended back in the dark ages. Bud

StudeRich
10-25-2010, 02:44 PM
This thread reminded me that me father bought a new 1962 Hawk from the Bayside Helms Bros dealership. There was Wass Motors on Long Island that sold Studebaskers too, but Helms Bros was a bigger dealership and made my father a better deal on the Hawk. Garden City is in Nassau County on Long Island. I was raised in the next town over from Garden City. Bud

That is interesting Bud, as you know, you and I lived in Hawthorne and knew each other for over 30 years, and I was raised there since 1952, and you are from where my Truck is from, a good distance away!
Also, you may have been to some of the SDC Meets put on by the defunct Santa Barbara Area Chapter, I saw the Truck at the Ohai Meet in 1988 and bought it in Feb. 1989 it is from Goleta, CA.
The heavy duty bed was supposidly built to be used in the Texas Oil Fields, but soon ended up in Calif. in about 1966.

raprice
10-25-2010, 07:52 PM
This is an interesting thread. I live in Smithtown, Long Island and there is a former Studebaker dealership in town that was called Schubert Brothers Studebaker. The business is still there, only it's a body shop and it's still called Schubert Brothers. It's now run by the grandsons of the original owners.
I've been trying to find out the name of a dealership that was located in Riverhead, Long Island, also in
Suffolk County. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks. It's on Roanoke Ave. and the building is still in great shape with the terracotta logo on the peak of the roof. Someone told me he thought the name was Wells Studebaker, but wasn't really sure.

Rog

jackb
10-25-2010, 08:53 PM
my Champ truck sold new out of Huntington Station....

raprice
10-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Well, your Champ was either sold by Walter Flessel or Doug East Studebaker. Those are the two Huntington dealers I'm aware of. I'm more familiar with Walter Flessel.
Rog

Bud
10-26-2010, 05:07 PM
StudeRich, I thought you lived in Redondo Beach before you escaped from California. There were only a few Studebaker dealers in my area of Nassau and Queens counties so I'm sure that I have visited them all. We even had a Studebaker parts depot in New Hyde Park about a mile from the house where I was raised. Several of us drove Studebakers during the high school days in the early sixties because they were cheaper to buy than a Chevy or a Ford plus the parts depot was 5 minutes from the house. I remember that the fellow that ran the parts counter would give us a decent deal on parts as none of us had a bunch of money and he wanted to see the Studebakers kept on the road. Bud

Werdegast
10-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Bud,
I garage my Studebaker in New Hyde Park off Jericho Tpk......where exactly was the Studebaker depot? I used to purchase all my parts at Ideal Auto Sales & Service on Lakeview Ave.RC
StudeRich, I thought you lived in Redondo Beach before you escaped from California. There were only a few Studebaker dealers in my area of Nassau and Queens counties so I'm sure that I have visited them all. We even had a Studebaker parts depot in New Hyde Park about a mile from the house where I was raised. Several of us drove Studebakers during the high school days in the early sixties because they were cheaper to buy than a Chevy or a Ford plus the parts depot was 5 minutes from the house. I remember that the fellow that ran the parts counter would give us a decent deal on parts as none of us had a bunch of money and he wanted to see the Studebakers kept on the road. Bud

Werdegast
10-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Bea & Athur Hartigan purchased their '63 Avanti new from Doug East.
Well, your Champ was either sold by Walter Flessel or Doug East Studebaker. Those are the two Huntington dealers I'm aware of. I'm more familiar with Walter Flessel.
Rog

Bud
10-27-2010, 08:28 AM
If I remember correctly, the New Hyde Park Studebaker Parts Depot was located on the SW corner of Jericho Turnpike and Denton Ave. Bud

Bud
10-27-2010, 08:37 AM
We also had Metro Auto Supply directly across the intersection from the Studebaker parts depot which was a wholesale supplier of parts and a couple of good wrecking yards south of the intersection on Denton Ave in Garden City Park. Bud

Werdegast
10-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Bud I have to travel a little way to get leaded fuel......I pull out of Jer Tpk travel east to Nassau Blvd..drive through Garden City, Garden City South then pass the swimming pool all the way down to Hempstead Avenue.......make right and just past the cross island turn is a gas station.used to Duplicki's...the station is now owned by a Russian fellow and they sell SunOco race gas.
If I remember correctly, the New Hyde Park Studebaker Parts Depot was located on the SW corner of Jericho Turnpike and Denton Ave. Bud

raprice
10-27-2010, 07:44 PM

I remember that Studebaker parts depot in New Hyde Park very well. I grew up in West Hempstead and the parts depot wasn't very far from us. My dad owned a '39 Commander and later a '51 Commander State Convertible. He found the parts depot very convenient. Boy, oh boy, I wish I had that '51 today.
Rog

Bud
10-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I haven't been back to New Hyde Park since the 70's , so I'm sure that the area has changed a bunch since I was there. I could be off a bit on my recollection of the location of the parts depot as the last time I was there was in the late 60's, but I know it was on Jericho Turnpike close to Denton Ave on the south side of Jericho Turnpike. I graduated from New Hyde Park Memorial H.S. in 1964 and lived on Maple Drive in N.H.P. Bud

plee4139
10-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi Roger-

Some people around the Hamptons have told me there was a dealer in East Hampton somewhere. Are you going to the Martha Clara ride?

Werdegast
10-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Nick Berger who is now in Westminster CA.......used to live in Valley Stream, LI.......not all that far from New Hyde Park....in fact his brother still lives in the house they all grew up with in the 50's......three cheers for Long Island and Nassau County:-)
I haven't been back to New Hyde Park since the 70's , so I'm sure that the area has changed a bunch since I was there. I could be off a bit on my recollection of the location of the parts depot as the last time I was there was in the late 60's, but I know it was on Jericho Turnpike close to Denton Ave on the south side of Jericho Turnpike. I graduated from New Hyde Park Memorial H.S. in 1964 and lived on Maple Drive in N.H.P. Bud

raprice
10-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi Roger-

Some people around the Hamptons have told me there was a dealer in East Hampton somewhere. Are you going to the Martha Clara ride?

Hi Peter,
Yes, I'll be going on the ride the the Martha Clara Winery. We're meeting at 10 A.M. at John Harvard's Restaurant along Route 347 by the Smith Haven Mall. We plan to stop along the way in Riverhead at the former Studebaker Dealer building on Roanoke Ave for a photo op.
Our plan, after the winery, is to eat at the Modern Snack Bar in Abequogue.
Hope you can make it.

Werdegast
10-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Ok..........actually went down to the former Studebaker parts depot...........the address was 2040 Jericho Tpk, New Hyde Park, NY 11040.

Which is the intersection of the turnpike and Nassau Terminal Road.

The building is still there................but the new occupant is ' Granger'

Directly across the street is a Mickey D......which looks like it was a former old estate with large grounds.

Bud
10-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Nassau Terminal Road must be the old Denton Ave. I don't remember any houses along that section of Jericho Turnpike as the area was mostly commercial when I lived there. The name Nick Berger sounds familiar, I'm sure that I've met him in my travels. Westminster is about 35 miles from where I live now so I'm sure that he and I have met at a Studebaker meet. Bud

Werdegast
10-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Nick Berger has an amazing Avanti that was featured on Spike TV.........he named her "Christine'.

Jon Myer knows the car and Nick very well as Nick has lived in So Cal since around 1965.

1954khardtop
10-30-2010, 10:16 PM
The delivery destination on the production order for my '54 is 11 Forest Hills N.Y. Does anyone know where that is and name of the dealership ?

Werdegast
10-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Bud, not true.........Denton Ave is it's own entity....it lays between NHP Road and Marcus Ave/Nassau Blvd.
Nassau Terminal Road must be the old Denton Ave. I don't remember any houses along that section of Jericho Turnpike as the area was mostly commercial when I lived there. The name Nick Berger sounds familiar, I'm sure that I've met him in my travels. Westminster is about 35 miles from where I live now so I'm sure that he and I have met at a Studebaker meet. Bud

StudeRich
10-30-2010, 11:23 PM
OK, can we get back on topic please...

I started this thread in hopes of learning any new information about the original owner of my Truck, the salesman who sold it, or the Truck Body Co. who built it's bed.
I'd also be interested to know if anyone from the 1962 Helms Bros. Dealerships still LIVES!

Bud
10-31-2010, 08:59 AM
StudeRich; Somewhere in my collection of Studebaker memorabilia is the original sales order sheet and the bill of sale for my father's 62 Hawk. I'm sure that the salesman's name and probably the sales manager's names are on the paper work. I don't know if the names will help you in your search, but I'll look for those documents asap. Bud