zddp, zddplus, zddpmax ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zddp, zddplus, zddpmax ?

What, if any, is the difference in zddp, zddplus, and zddpmax as far as use in a Studebaker 289 or Packard 352 that is already using, Valvoline vr1

Those are just different names for competing products that enhance ZDDP levels; nothing else.

If you are using Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil, any ZDDP additive is overkill because VR-1 already has enough ZDDP in it right out of the bottle.

That's why I use it and that's why Jim Pepper uses it; it's readily available anywhere and often on sale...or at least you get credit for an "over $20 purchase" at Auto-Zone toward your Auto Zone Rewards. (That's a good free program if you haven't signed up, by the way. I've already earned -and spent- $160 in free merchandise from Auto Zone since the program began.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

ZDDPlus seems to be the most widely used additive and is available at Studebaker Vendors. I never heard of the other two, could be a regional thing. Redline also makes a good one.

If it were me, which it isn't! I would NOT use Valvoline VR1 Racing, as the additives are not designed for long term use and is not preferred for street driven or seldom driven Cars. It IS great to protect high revving engines for a few runs and then getting drained, we had an Oil Engineer here tell us that.

Also it is overkill to use both the ZDDP AND the high ZDDP VR1.

Just good Valvoline, Castrol, Quaker State etc. standard Oils 10-30, 20-50, or 30 Wt. depending on the climate with the ZDDPlus additive should be fine.

The other good option is to buy the special (expensive) Brad Penn Oil with the ZDDP already in it, from their own Pennsylvania wells and the old Kendall refinery.

None of the current Diesel Oils which all now have higher than CI-4 API rating are acceptable.

While correcting some spelling errors, I saw that Bob P. was typing his "almost" the same answer at exactly the same MINUTE that I was, though we do have a slightly different opinion on Oils, don't we ALL!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 10-24-2010, 01:40 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Now Rich, you mention the Brad Penn oil, and there use of the old Kendall place. Kendall offers a racing oil that I use, is it the same stuff?
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

No Dylan it is not.
          I talked to the Tech./Engineer at the new Kendall Oil Co. which is now just another Exxon Division I think, or one of the other Big Oil Co's. oil with the Kendall name on it.
          He did say their racing Oil has a bit higher ZDDP level, but could not say how much.
          Kendall USED to be one the best Premium, high quality Pennsylvania Oils, but like everything now-days, has been bought out, and uses Foreign Oil Stock.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Gotcha, thanks!
            Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              If it were me, which it isn't! I would NOT use Valvoline VR1 Racing, as the additives are not designed for long term use and is not preferred for street driven or seldom driven Cars. It IS great to protect high revving engines for a few runs and then getting drained, we had an Oil Engineer here tell us that.
              StudeRich ... Your comment about not containing additives needed for long term use is WRONG. The version of Valvoline VR-1 sold at most FLAPS contain sufficient ZDDP and is rated API grade SM, which is the latest grade (covers previous grades) for all cars, light trucks and SUV's. The API grade SM VR-1 bottle is silver is color.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	VR-1 Street Legal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	1663919
              Your statement about not containing additives is only correct when referring to the non-street legal VR-1 Racing Speciality Oil. This oil comes in a black bottle.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	VR-1 non street.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	1663920
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386
              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

What makes a oil non street legal?
                Dylan Wills
                Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Kendal is now a part of the Conoco -Phillips company. You can research the specs of their different oils by going to their website and clicking on the brand that interests you. Product data sheets are available for all of their products. The same information is available from the other companies too. According to the Chevron website, they still produce the Delo 400 15w-40 that has the high zinc and phosphorous content in it. It's listed as Delo 400 and not Delo 400 LE which is the lower additive version of the Delo oil. Bud

Comment

What about the Penrite Classic oil range.
                    They appear to be specifically blended for older cars and have a high zinc/phos content.
                    pb

Comment

Attention!

VR-1 comes in two forms............20W50 for 'everyday' use........and straight 50 W for race apps........the proper protective package is blended into the 20W50............i had many conversation with the tech gurus at Valvoline.......so that is how i know:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Werdegast View Post
                        Attention!

VR-1 comes in two forms............20W50 for 'everyday' use........and straight 50 W for race apps........the proper protective package is blended into the 20W50............i had many conversation with the tech gurus at Valvoline.......so that is how i know:-)
                        Well...you are partly correct. It is available in those weights, but I am running straight VR-1 30WT in my '48 coupe. I also have a quart of straight VR-1 60WT that I picked up by mistake. Valvoline produces it in nearly all viscosities. I was about to pour the 60 wt in my engine and recognized the mistake in time. I have no idea of what the engine application would be for a 60 wt oil.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

What makes a oil non street legal?
                          I wouldn't imagine a whole lot of factors fall into that category. I've known a few from the import car chatrooms who built up engines and swore by Royal Purple, mainly because of the money thrown into putting high buck work, money, and sweat into the engine. I would probably say there may be a remote case where the car failed the smog inspection on using a performance oil, but I'd be pretty surprised if heard of that happening, as the oil is supposed to be better, as well as free up lost horsepower, than the regular oils that are used in regular street vehicles.

On that note, a better question would be, how much money do you want to sink into each oil change based on the brand and quality of oil you want to buy?

I'm now also a subscriber, well if I can afford to, of using VR1 in my own cars. The VR1 oil at NAPA isn't a whole lot more expensive than the Rotella I am using, and odds are a few dollars here may save a four figure pricetag for an engine rebuild later on......
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by Werdegast View Post
                            Attention!

They also have a 10W30 with proper protective package and ZDDP see attached specification sheet for the 20W50 and 10W30 viscosity oil.

sigpic
                            John
                            63R-2386
                            Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Working...
                            X