Differential tags needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential tags needed

I crawled under the 64 Lark and looked at the rear end tonight. There are two tags on a couple bolts that hold on the cover. One says "45C" and the other "46-13". It is a 44 rear end.

Both of the tags are pretty rusty.

Does anyone have these in nice condition?

Thanks, Jeff

Does it really matter if there is rust there? If it bothers you that much, I would remove them, hit them on the wire wheel, shoot some silver paint or cast iron gray paint on them, let them dry and re-install.
    They will be as good as new, and few people will be willing to lose the identity of their hard to find 3.54 Twin Traction model 44 rear axle to sell you the tags.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Oh man, to have a TT Dana 44 in 3.54s!! I got a 44 (original) in my car, in 3.54s. Might be a conversion in the future......
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Does it really matter if there is rust there? If it bothers you that much, I would remove them, hit them on the wire wheel, shoot some silver paint or cast iron gray paint on them, let them dry and re-install.
        They will be as good as new, and few people will be willing to lose the identity of their hard to find 3.54 Twin Traction model 44 rear axle to sell you the tags.
        You should see the "Lark" he's referring to- you'd understand... a Red Super Lark
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Rich, I'm trying to restore to as close to original condition as I can and when I look under the car from the rear those pieces always catch my eye.

One of the tags is nearly rusted through and barely hanging on (45C). The other not quite as bad, but I would like to improve these if possible.

Thanks
          Last edited by studefan; 10-23-2010, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Rich,you just do'nt get it! I think he's had other posts here that states the car will be best of best with parts collected (TAGS INCLUDED!)
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Joe is right. I'm just trying to improve it as much as possible.

The car I am restoring is the Bordeaux red with red vinyl interior 64 Lark R2 4 speed full package Hardtop that I bought from JDP a couple years ago. It is the only one made with this color combination and equipment.

I have been meaning to show some pictures of progress so at some point maybe I'll start another thread.

There is so much to do I just keep working on it as a function of time and mood. Sometimes I work on the engine parts, sometimes play on the inside or the underside. In the winter I work on things like the dash in the basement where I have some heat.

For example, I completely dismantled the dash down to the metal frame and built it up from there. NOS pad from SASCO is glued in place (a painstaking job to get it aligned just right) and dyed with SI dye.

Here is a picture of the gage assembly so far. Every piece shown is NOS - 160 speedo, tach, tach ring, overall chrome surround, and backing plate. I am restoring the missing cluster on the left as I can't find that in NOS condition.

I am enjoying this project but it is taking me so long due to my desire to restore to original condition. Every year I revise my projected completion date.

As Joe states, I have solicited much advice from the forum to date and will have many more questions in the future I am sure. Thanks to all.

Now back to the garage I must go.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks, Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                I crawled under the 64 Lark and looked at the rear end tonight. There are two tags on a couple bolts that hold on the cover. One says "45C" and the other "46-13". It is a 44 rear end.

Both of the tags are pretty rusty.

Does anyone have these in nice condition?

Thanks, Jeff
                Check with Ray-Lin restorations. I bought my 3.54:1 Tags from him. He posts on the forum from time to time.

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                  I crawled under the 64 Lark and looked at the rear end tonight. There are two tags on a couple bolts that hold on the cover. One says "45C" and the other "46-13". It is a 44 rear end. Both of the tags are pretty rusty. Does anyone have these in nice condition? Thanks, Jeff
                  Jeff, you may want to try contacting Tommy K., the Stude Vendor with the "BIG WHITE BUS." He sells "diff. tags" at various meets and from his home base too. His phone number is: 574.287.5834

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Thank you gentlemen. I just removed them and they aren't pretty. Appreciate the tips.

Comment

I too am looking for an original 3.54 tag. Also looking for a 45C tag.

I previously contacted Ray-Lin and he was out of 3.54's

There are reproduction tags on Evilbay for Chryslers. Apparently Chrysler received the same tags from Dana, same tag also may be used on the Dana 60's.
                      sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                        Rich,you just do'nt get it! I think he's had other posts here that states the car will be best of best with parts collected (TAGS INCLUDED!)
                        I am sorry, that must be a very worthy car of the best of the best, I am just not used to these rust belt cars where the road salt build-up takes out everything from the rear springs back, we don't see that on our West Coast cars, they only get rust in the front fenders and floor from salt air dew, washing and rain.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                        X