Diverging diamond traffic pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diverging diamond traffic pattern

While in Springfield, MO next year for the International many of you will drive on the nations first diverging diamond traffic pattern. The diverging diamond is located a few blocks from the Fairgrounds the location of the swap meet and concours.
    This improvement has really helped with traffic flow for events at the fairgrounds.
    While in Springfield check it out.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Very interesting concept. First impression was of a little mental fear in seeing that everyone has to drive on the 'wrong' side a little ways. But it is safe enough as the thoroughfare is one-way during that distance.

Makes me miss the 'traffic circle' we used to have here. A whole lot simpler and no cross traffic anywhere on it. As those outside of America call them, roundabouts. I miss ours. Been gone for a long time, since the Interstate was built. But I have a piece of asphalt from it for memory's sake.

Comment

Bob,
      I live near Newton Grove, NC, and the only reason I can see for its existance is the traffic circle where state routes 701, 50, 55, and 13 cross, enter and exit each other. It's efficient and a lot lower cost, I'm sure, than a diverging diamond.

Comment

I swear I've seen these in Pennsylvania before - and they scared me to death.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The first one build in the US is the one in Springfield, MO. We how have two of them.
          They are better in my mind than traffic circles.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

My first reaction was that this is crazy but now that I've used it several times getting to the fairgrounds from eastbound I 44 it makes a lot of sense. The trouble with roundabouts that I experience is that once a line of traffic begins from one direction they won't yield. The purpose is for each vehicle to pause at the yield sign to see if some one is waiting or first at their yield sign. Look out when the mother's are headed to or from school with their children. Some of the men drivers are bullies and know better but the women don't seem to know the traffic rules.

Comment

I want to reminder everyone about this overpass by the Fairgrounds. It is certainly different.
              There are two in Springfield and one in St Louis. The only three I know of in the country so most of you have probably never seen one before.
              Please pay attention to the signs and lanes when you use it.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

Having driven on one before... All it makes you think is that you are in a construction zone.. No big deal..
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Springfield has some interesting traffic solutions. The double left turn lanes at the intersection of US-65 southbound at Sunshine is a good example, which works well after one gets familiar with it.

I don't like roundabouts for the reasons mentioned. The one at the last entrance to I-15 southbound in Saint George, Utah is a particularly bad example. We are leaving for Europe right after the Meet, and my last experience driving there was that European drivers are much more courteous, and drive much faster. Even the women seem to know their way around (roundabouts). <g>
                  sigpic
                  Jack, in Montana

Comment

Springfield has some interesting traffic solutions. The double left turn lanes at the intersection of US-65 southbound at Sunshine is a good example, which works well after one gets familiar with it.
                    That's actually a fairly common solution this direction for the major metropolitan, high capacity intersections. Rather than have a single turn lane with a block and a half of cars in it, they will double the left turn lanes for an eight lane intersection which splits the cars and reduces the lines. They will also mark the intersection around the turn, so all you have to do is remember to follow the turn and to stay in your lane. The arrows are also a separate, dedicated signal, so your not waiting for cross traffic to clear before making your turn.
                    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                    X