PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the emergency brake cable

curt
09-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Pull the brake up four clicks and tighten the emergency brake cable, how tight do I pull the cable? Popeye after a meal of spinich, banjo string tight, floppy wires?

ivorydan
09-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Curt:
You need to have both rear wheels jacked up off the ground.
The car should be in neutral and on a level surface.
Tighten the cable up until the rear wheels have a very heavy drag. You can barely turn them by hand.
Then release the brake and make sure the wheels turn freely. You don't want any drag when the emergency is not applied. Thanks.

studeclunker
09-03-2006, 01:28 AM
I usually put both ends of the car on stands. As old and fat as I am it's required to get enough room... Well, you get the idea.

Curt, I adjust the cable till there is drag on the rear axle, then back off just a wee bit. Then I set the brake and, after starting, place the car in gear, drive, to see if the rear wheels will move (still on stands). If they do, it needs a wee bit of tightening. Remember, the Parking brake is supposed to hold the car still when parked. Admittedly, it's not as good as the Hill Holder, but some of us like automatics.

By the by, don't test it in reverse. The brake isn't effective in reverse. If using the brake, always face your car down hill and turn the wheels into the curb... Sorry, I forgot I'm not talking to my son. I just had this conversation with him. His car came out of park and rolled into the vehicle behind him. Thankfully they were close and there was no appreciable damage.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith