PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Build Sheets

Commander Eddie
10-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Does anyone know if build sheets are available for Studebakers? I would love to know more information about exactly when my car was built. I have been able to determine from the VIN that it was built in South Bend. I do not know what month or exactly which model it was sold as. Any direction on this would be appreciated.

Studebaker Wheel
10-21-2010, 05:28 PM
https://studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/

Easy as that!

rockne10
10-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Charles,
You really must join the Studebaker Drivers Club. The resources available will blow your mind.

E. Davis
10-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Am I the only one who has a computer that shows the thread starters name, join date and address on the left side of the screen??? Somebody is always suggesting that a forum user join the SDC club when its obvious he is already a member. I ts a mystery to me.

Bob Andrews
10-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Am I the only one who has a computer that shows the thread starters name, join date and address on the left side of the screen??? Somebody is always suggesting that a forum user join the SDC club when its obvious he is already a member. I ts a mystery to me.

I can solve the mystery for you. On the left you see that the person is a FORUM member since the date they registered for it (join date). Anyone can be a member of the forum regardless of whether or not they're SDC members. Has nothing to do with SDC membership. So there's no way to tell if they're an SDC member by the info shown.

E. Davis
10-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanx for the info. I didn't know that but it makes sense now.

Bill Pressler
10-22-2010, 07:44 PM
I've got a question about production orders.

I'd like to buy my brother-in-law one for his '49 for his upcoming birthday. Seems like I've seen some that just have a bunch of codes on them, instead of descriptions of equipment like the '60's production orders have. If I pay $40 for this from the SNM (ouch!...and I love the SNM), will I get a bunch of codes that I don't have any idea what they mean, or does the SNM provide a key to them when they send the sheet?

Thanks.

fatboylust
10-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Bill you will get something like I got for my 52, see attached image. You may have to enlarge it 150% see the details.

ddub
10-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Something which might make a better gift would be a Window Price Sticker. They weren't available in 1952 but Studebaker Wheel on this forum can supply a very attractive fantasy one.

rockne10
10-22-2010, 08:31 PM
In order for it to be accurate, you would need to spring for the build sheet and have Richard produce a Maroney window sticker.

Studebaker Wheel
10-22-2010, 09:25 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/newsgroup/51wpscaffreyemail2copy.jpg?t=1287797033

In order for it to be accurate, you would need to spring for the build sheet and have Richard produce a Maroney window sticker.

Actually I can make them up w/o the production orders but it would require a detailed list of options and accessories, color etc. Yes, the window price sticker is much better for display
at shows than the production order.

JBOYLE
10-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Us younger guys (gee, I don't get to say that often!!! :) ) find it hard to belive that cars ever came without a window sticker...they've had them for as long as I can remember.

Welcome
10-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Does anyone know if build sheets are available for Studebakers? I would love to know more information about exactly when my car was built. I have been able to determine from the VIN that it was built in South Bend. I do not know what month or exactly which model it was sold as. Any direction on this would be appreciated.

WELCOME …to the SDC Forum!!!:)

Studebaker did not use a “Build Sheet” per se as did other manufacturers in later years. They used a “Production Order” form that provided peculiar information about the vehicle to be built. Also, back in the Studebaker days there was no (Federal) requirement for universal format "VIN" (Vehicle Identification Number) coding therefore each manufacturer came up with their own “Serial Number” coding to identify their vehicles.

Eddie, the good news is if you know the vehicle's "Serial Number" there is a good chance you can obtain a copy of Studebaker’s “Production Order” by contacting the Studebaker National Museum Archives here: http://tinyurl.com/2aocwj2

ROADRACELARK
10-23-2010, 08:24 AM
If Richard's "Sample" window sticker was for a 1951 Champion business coupe instead of a 4dr sedan, I'd sware it was a twin to Tom Elliott's Business Coupe! With a few exceptions, I think Matthew Burnette would agree.

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA

Werdegast
10-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Ed,
You should contact Dan Booth...i know he has amazing Avanti production line sheets detailing every aspect of the car as it moved through production. They are on several 8X10 sheets of yellow paper. I am not sure if he has sheets for other cars but you should ask

stephenj
10-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Could a fantasy PO form be made for my 50 Champion built in Hamilton?

Studebaker Wheel
10-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Could a fantasy PO form be made for my 50 Champion built in Hamilton?

No problem just send all pertinent data. I can do either th p.o. or a window price sticker.

Farrier1951
05-03-2011, 11:43 PM
OK, but are they available for newer i.e. 1962 Studebakers?

mbstude
05-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Richard Quinn's window sticker lists an AC number for rear venetian blinds for a 4 door. Tom has a NOS pair of blinds that didn't fit his Business coupe and were different than the Starlight coupe ones. Thanks RQ, now I have an AC number.

Studebaker Wheel
05-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Richard Quinn's window sticker lists an AC number for rear venetian blinds for a 4 door. Tom has a NOS pair of blinds that didn't fit his Business coupe and were different than the Starlight coupe ones. Thanks RQ, now I have an AC number.

I am here to serve you. Send money.

mbstude
05-04-2011, 01:21 AM
I'll treat you to lunch in Springfield, IF you wear the Stude Overalls.

avantilover
05-04-2011, 03:51 AM
The build sheets are available up to the end of US production. There doesn't appear to be any record of Canadian production. My Lark Regal was built in June 1962 and I got a sheet for her.

stude dude
05-04-2011, 05:23 AM
The build sheets are available up to the end of US production. There doesn't appear to be any record of Canadian production. My Lark Regal was built in June 1962 and I got a sheet for her.

I believe most Canadian built cars are on file too. I had no trouble getting a sheet on my '66 Commander.

avantilover
05-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks for that, I thought someone said Canadian ones weren't available. Perhaps that was a particular period which is missing.

avantilover
05-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Just a shame no details of our Aussie Built cars are available. I mean records from the couple or three (???) Victorian Assemblers. At least I thought that was what Jim Quigley told me in Fremantle. Was nice to meet you "young fella" (smile), hope you did lots of business.

Jim B PEI
05-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks for that, I thought someone said Canadian ones weren't available. Perhaps that was a particular period which is missing.

The Canadian production orders are available from 1960 through 1966 I believe. I was able to get a p.o. for the 64 Commander 'Special' but not the Canadian 57 Champion, for example. Yes, the 57 does have the Maple Leaf emblem, Bob Andrews!

The US production is available from about 1937 through end of US production, I think, although there are 'some' p.o. still available for 'some' models for 1936 and possibly 1935. Top end models ISTR, like the Presidents?

8E45E
05-05-2011, 02:11 PM
I was able to get a p.o. for the 64 Commander 'Special'....

Have you cleaned it up and got some pictures of it yet? I keep waiting to see that 'Commander Special' thread bumped to the top with photos of it that spring is here!!

Craig

stude dude
05-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Just a shame no details of our Aussie Built cars are available. I mean records from the couple or three (???) Victorian Assemblers. At least I thought that was what Jim Quigley told me in Fremantle. Was nice to meet you "young fella" (smile), hope you did lots of business.

You should be able to get a production sheet on your Australian assembled Lark from the SNM. Being an American supplied CKD, most of your Lark began life in South Bend. The production order won't give your colour and trim details since this was locally supplied but it will provide you with shipping dates, engine numbers, etc. CKD's were usually arranged in batches of 25-30 similar cars with fairly standard specs.

Something like this -

Spec. grey windlace, dash top, etc.
Regal trim,
Deluxe steer. wheel,
Omit seat frames and trim, wheels, tires, etc.
Amber directional signals,
7:1 Low compression heads...........and on it goes......

It can make interesting reading!