Need help in identifying my dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help in identifying my dash

I have a 53 coupe - door jam tag says 83276I7 and firewall tag is either missing or covered by a lame firewall sheetmetal "smoothing" cover. The car has been fortified with a different guage cluster and I'm not sure what it used to belong to. I will try to post a pic but as a new member the forum may not let me yet...so i will try to describe. it has two 5" guages (the 110mph speedo and a 4 in 1 combo- fuel/oil/temp/amp) these are set in a chrome panel with horizontal grooves across the face and a gold colored " V8 President" emble in the middle below the signal and high beam indicators. 2 vertical motion switches on left (lights and instrument) and 2 on right (air and defrost). I would like to find a repl. speedo because most of the painted numbers have fallen to the bottom of the glass.
    Attached Files
    Tony in Hawaii

The gauge panel is from a 1955 model.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Additionally, those appear to be Champion/Commander gauges despite the "President" label, because a President would have had an extra piece of trim on the gauge face. The panel could have come out of any '55 coupe or hardtop or an early (pre-wraparound windshield) '55 sedan.

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

It appears that PROBABLY the Prez glasses with the crazy-looking pieces on 'em Click image for larger version

Name:	prez dash1a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1663887
        were replaced by simple glass.

Even the Champion/Commander had little buttons in the centers. Click image for larger version

Name:	Commander dash1a.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1663888

Many times I've seen those glasses broken because the Prez pieces got pushed into the glass.

Why not just remove those instruments and install the speedo and other gauge from a '50-'51 Commander?

Click image for larger version

Name:	THE2.JPG
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1663891

They'll fit just fine and will make EVERYBODY wonder. You'll love that purple light at nite. AND the numbers will NEVER fall off!

John
        Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 10-21-2010, 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

Working...
        X