Is it common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it common?

Is it an acceptable occurrence for a R-1 fuel pump to have a bit of oil on top of it?

It seems to always be damp with oil, and I believe it sprays a tiny bit on surrounding fender panels.

I have not found the oil to be contaminated with gasoline. (dip stick)

Diaphram may be leaking, You should not have oil there. Check with Jon Meyer or Dave Thibeault. They will know for sure how to remedy the problem.

Don
    don

Comment

Is it common? It seems to always be damp with oil, and I believe it sprays a tiny bit on surrounding fender panels.
      Yes, for any and all parts of the Studebaker engines, be it on top on the sides or especially beneath and behind.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I had been told that Studebaker wanted to build TV sets but couldn't find a way to make them leak oil, so they dumped that project.

Comment

It's usually the round oil seal that fits around the diaphragm shaft, not the diaphragm itself. Tom at Antique Auto parts Center (www.then-now.com) once told me Carter/Federal Mogul has never released their seal to be used by re builders, so many of the seals used in rebuilds just don't work so well. Dan

Comment

My 289 Hawk has had the same oil deposit thru' three fuel pumps - Best as can be determined, it is due to front crank seal leakage - And yes, it leaves a film over the entire newly painted engine compartment.
            Paul K

Comment

Working...
            X