PDA

View Full Version : welding stainless steel fitting to steel manifold

Jeff T.
10-19-2010, 10:03 PM
I went to the hardware store today looking for a nut or fitting that would fit the ohv pcv elbow for the ohv six pcv, I wanted to weld the nut or fitting to the side of my ohv six twin carb project because I want to hook up the pcv in the future.

I discovered that the elbow threads are pipe threads and had my choice of gavanized and stainless steel fittings, I chose stainless steel but I then wondered about welding stainless steel to common steel.

So before I open the packaging, drill a large hole and discover the two metals will not melt together...

I have a Lincoln Weldpac wire feed welder, running .035 fluxcore wire... can I weld a stainless steel fitting to a common steel tube manifold and have everything weld together nicely with no vacuum leaks?

splatter I can grind down:)

If it stainless and steel wont weld togather, any suggestions on what to do next... grind the galvanized and hold my breath:)

Jeff T.

sweetolbob
10-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Jeff

I've welded a number of stainless steel to steel items and have not had a problem. My brother-in-law is qualified to weld about anything including Nuclear Plants. He said use stainless wire and no issues. That is what I use. I have a roll of 0.30 stainless and use it with 80/20 gas. The only problem is I have no experience with flux core.

Stainless wire will also weld steel to steel.

Bob

52 Ragtop
10-19-2010, 10:17 PM
You could always braze it, or silver solder it. Is there a reason you can not drill & tap it? or, get the correct size tube and drill a slightly smaller hole, and "press" it in, then use an in line PVJim