PDA

View Full Version : Moving disk hubcaps

curt
09-02-2006, 04:38 PM
My RR hubcap would slide on the rim. It was suggested,on this chat,the rims were old and flexed with the radial tires. Four new rims. Put the caps back on today. Caps do not move. Anyone with this problem? Be safe, replace the rims.

Mike Sal
09-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Where did you get your new rims? Are they wider than stock? I need to see about doing something on my '54 kaiser, 3 of the 4 wheel covers rotate so badly, i have to move them after a 50 mile drive.

The kaiser rims have a little metal piece welded on which is supposed to catch into 2 tabs on the wheel cover, but the hub caps are so old they tabs won't hold their shape.
Mike Sal

chocolate turkey
09-04-2006, 09:30 AM
It's not always the wheel rim that is at fault. I had new wheels and old caps on a 1964 Daytona. I could not get the caps to stop rotating so, I put a set of steel valve stems on the wheels and solved the problem! The cap would rotate until it hit the steel stem and then stop there, never falling off, never moving further.

Brian

Brian K. Curtis

Skip Lackie
09-04-2006, 10:17 AM
There was a Stude Service Bulletin that noted this problem when the vehicles were new and the tires were bias-ply. They designed a little metal plate with two ears on it that could be epoxied to each wheel near the valve stem. I put them on my 64 Daytona 25 years ago and they solved the problem. As I recall, SASCO still had them in stock. Unfortunately, I'm not at home and can't consult my service bulletins to find the part number, but I provided in a previous thread a few months ago. A search of this site might turn it up.
Skip Lackie

wayne
09-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Back in the 50's that used to be a problem . One thing they used was a stamped hat shaped piece that had a hole in the top that went over the valve stem the bottom hit the rim. When I had a gas station I used to see a lot of them . I don't know if you could find any today.