1962 Champ and Commander 245

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Champ and Commander 245

The column shift arrangement on my Champ has disingegrated again. Thus I'm considering replacing the engine and transmission both. What I'd like to install is a Commander 245 and floor shift transmission that's available. However, before spending a grand that I'd have to borrow, I need to know if the engine will even fit in my Champ?

Does anyone know the block length on a 245 (6) as compared to a 259 (V8)? I'm aware that the drive shaft will have to be changed (probably shortened considerably). Still, I'd like to switch out this weak V8 with a better engine, if it's at all possible.

... Anyone?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
    The column shift arrangement on my Champ has disingegrated again. Thus I'm considering replacing the engine and transmission both. What I'd like to install is a Commander 245 and floor shift transmission that's available. However, before spending a grand that I'd have to borrow, I need to know if the engine will even fit in my Champ?

Does anyone know the block length on a 245 (6) as compared to a 259 (V8)? I'm aware that the drive shaft will have to be changed (probably shortened considerably). Still, I'd like to switch out this weak V8 with a better engine, if it's at all possible.

... Anyone?
    I'll sell you a factory floor shift as used on early trucks for $75 and you keep the V8.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Yes Clunk 1960 Champs have 245 Engines, so there would be no problem installing one.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
      X