1965 Wagonaire Woody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Wagonaire Woody?

Does anybody have photos of the 1965 Wagonaire Woody design study? I am planning a paper model of it, anything would be very helpful.
    \"Life is short, write in pen\"

There are two pictures of the wagons in a book called "Woodies & Wagons." I have the book, but the pictures are too small and too dark to scan well. I've never seen the pictures anywhere else. I wonder if they were from the Richard Quinn collection?
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Only slightly related. I turned a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire into a woody. I thought that it looked pretty good that way. I applied wood grain vinyl over the entire length of the wagon, below the side trim. I put it on in one piece and then cut out the door openings. This made the woodgrain flow consistently the length of the car. It was hard to hang the giant pieces of vinyl by myself.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Could you post some photos of it?

Comment

E.T. Reynold's fabulous autobiography in Car Classics once again provides an answer:

Craig

Comment

Those are the pics - very nice.
            Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

No one asked what I think...but IMHO I think a neat look would he the half-woody look as seen on some Jeep Wagoneers (...the Wagonaire's big brother) and early 70s Dodges.

BTW: We just had our kitchen cabinets refaced, and for the frame the carpenter used a self adhesive thin veneer that would probably stick well to a flat or very slightly curved surface. All you'd have to add are the frame pieces
              Attached Files
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                No one asked what I think...but IMHO I think a neat look would he the half-woody look as seen on some Jeep Wagoneers (...the Wagonaire's big brother) and early 70s Dodges.
                At the 1984 Pacific CanAm zone meet in Merrit, there was a Daytona Wagonaire where the owner nicely laid woodgrain on the center portion of the wide aluminum side trim strip where it is normally matte black.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  At the 1984 Pacific CanAm zone meet in Merrit, there was a Daytona Wagonaire where the owner nicely laid woodgrain on the center portion of the wide aluminum side trim strip where it is normally matte black.

Craig
                  Hmmm... just like the prototype in the SNM!
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hey, John.

Great idea about applying the cabinet facing wood veneer, then framing it would make for a cool Woodie.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
                        Those are the pics - very nice.
                        I'd like to know if photos of the rear of those cars exist. The taillights appear to have been relocated from above the beltline to the middle of the body. The 'real' 1965 sedans, had it been 'business as usual' in South Bend were supposed to have an entirely new rear end with a full-width taillight. I wonder if the '65 Wagonaire was going to have a similar styling treatment on the rear; maybe not with actual lenses on the tailgate itself, but painted red to make it appear full width.

Craig

Comment

Craig - great catch! I never noticed that the taillights weren't there. I'd like to see some more pictures too. I did notice the cabover engine pickup and 65 sedan prototypes behind the wagons.
                          Scott Rodgers
                          Los Angeles
                          SDC Member since 1989
                          \'60 Lark HT
                          \'63 Wagonaire
                          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Surf city here we come!

Richard Burks
                            53s
                            57 Transtar
                            My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                            sigpic
                            Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                            in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Brooks Stevens at work again: The side trim in that top photo sure looks like the same style applied by AMC to the Grand Wagoneer.

I'll bet, with a little adaptation, those plastic surrounds could be made to fit a Wagonaire. And 3M recently began reproducing the Di-Noc adhesive woodgrain decal panels again; they're big items in the Ford community for restoring Country Squires.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X