PDA

View Full Version : 1965 Wagonaire Woody?

texbodemer
10-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Does anybody have photos of the 1965 Wagonaire Woody design study? I am planning a paper model of it, anything would be very helpful.

scott.rodgers
10-17-2010, 06:35 PM
There are two pictures of the wagons in a book called "Woodies & Wagons." I have the book, but the pictures are too small and too dark to scan well. I've never seen the pictures anywhere else. I wonder if they were from the Richard Quinn collection?

studegary
10-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Only slightly related. I turned a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire into a woody. I thought that it looked pretty good that way. I applied wood grain vinyl over the entire length of the wagon, below the side trim. I put it on in one piece and then cut out the door openings. This made the woodgrain flow consistently the length of the car. It was hard to hang the giant pieces of vinyl by myself.

texbodemer
10-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Could you post some photos of it?

8E45E
10-17-2010, 08:23 PM
E.T. Reynold's fabulous autobiography in Car Classics once again provides an answer:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4145/5091685598_e91efd1b30_b.jpg

Craig

scott.rodgers
10-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Those are the pics - very nice.

JBOYLE
10-17-2010, 11:27 PM
No one asked what I think...but IMHO I think a neat look would he the half-woody look as seen on some Jeep Wagoneers (...the Wagonaire's big brother) and early 70s Dodges.

BTW: We just had our kitchen cabinets refaced, and for the frame the carpenter used a self adhesive thin veneer that would probably stick well to a flat or very slightly curved surface. All you'd have to add are the frame pieces

8E45E
10-17-2010, 11:43 PM
No one asked what I think...but IMHO I think a neat look would he the half-woody look as seen on some Jeep Wagoneers (...the Wagonaire's big brother) and early 70s Dodges.

At the 1984 Pacific CanAm zone meet in Merrit, there was a Daytona Wagonaire where the owner nicely laid woodgrain on the center portion of the wide aluminum side trim strip where it is normally matte black.

Craig

Bob Andrews
10-18-2010, 05:36 AM
At the 1984 Pacific CanAm zone meet in Merrit, there was a Daytona Wagonaire where the owner nicely laid woodgrain on the center portion of the wide aluminum side trim strip where it is normally matte black.

Craig

Hmmm... just like the prototype in the SNM!

stude53
10-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Hey, John.

Great idea about applying the cabinet facing wood veneer, then framing it would make for a cool Woodie.

texbodemer
10-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the help.

8E45E
10-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Those are the pics - very nice.

I'd like to know if photos of the rear of those cars exist. The taillights appear to have been relocated from above the beltline to the middle of the body. The 'real' 1965 sedans, had it been 'business as usual' in South Bend were supposed to have an entirely new rear end with a full-width taillight. I wonder if the '65 Wagonaire was going to have a similar styling treatment on the rear; maybe not with actual lenses on the tailgate itself, but painted red to make it appear full width.

Craig

scott.rodgers
10-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Craig - great catch! I never noticed that the taillights weren't there. I'd like to see some more pictures too. I did notice the cabover engine pickup and 65 sedan prototypes behind the wagons.

Studeous
10-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Surf city here we come!

Richard Burks
53s
57 Transtar

showbizkid
10-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Brooks Stevens at work again: The side trim in that top photo sure looks like the same style applied by AMC to the Grand Wagoneer.

http://gearpatrol.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/wagonmasters-1989-jeep-grand-wagoneer.jpg

I'll bet, with a little adaptation, those plastic surrounds could be made to fit a Wagonaire. And 3M recently began reproducing the Di-Noc adhesive woodgrain decal panels again; they're big items in the Ford community for restoring Country Squires.

JBOYLE
10-20-2010, 01:03 AM
I'll bet, with a little adaptation, those plastic surrounds could be made to fit a Wagonaire.

With the fairly flat sides of both you're probably right.
I'd like to make a late model faux Taurus "Country Squire", the later ones with concave sides and the oval rear window.
Failing that, perhaps a 1988-89 Taurus wagon with wood sides, like Chevy Chase drove in "Christmas Vacatiion".
In either case, getting the framing to stick to the curved sides would be a tough one.

Jeff_H
10-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Back in 1997 I was doing some body work on my parents 1978 ford fairmont wagon with the woodgrain trim. The vinyl dark wood was in pretty good shape but the lighter "grain" border mouldings were starting to degrade. I don't know how one would restore one of those. It appeared the mouldings were aluminum that had been painted or printed somehow with a grain pattern. Over that was a layer of clear plastic. Perhaps the plastic was applied with some vacuum process? Any rate the plastic was starting to disingrate and peal leaving the painted or printed on grain pattern unprotected. The graining was then almost washing off leaving just a base layer of tan paint. I recall seeing ratty 80s vintage Chrysler mini-vans around with similar wood trim that was doing the same thing so it must have been made the same way.

I don't think I would use that real wood veneer to build a woody. Some may recall the '50 woody 2dr wagon rod that was at the Spokane meet. The car had real wood trim and veneer applied over the metal on the sides with a solid wood roof. A hand made phantom and beautiful work. I talked to the owner a bit and was parked next to him at the show. There was some light rain and he was scrambling to hand dry the car with towels to keep that veneer from bubbling and warping. It had a LOT of varish on it but was still not perfectly waterproof.

Jim B PEI
10-20-2010, 11:34 AM
I'd like to know if photos of the rear of those cars exist. The taillights appear to have been relocated from above the beltline to the middle of the body. The 'real' 1965 sedans, had it been 'business as usual' in South Bend were supposed to have an entirely new rear end with a full-width taillight. I wonder if the '65 Wagonaire was going to have a similar styling treatment on the rear; maybe not with actual lenses on the tailgate itself, but painted red to make it appear full width.

Craig

Me too! Anyone have pictures of the front and rear wagon treatments?

I bet they look a bit like the Grand Wagoneer (or Cherokee/Wagoneer) style taillights, which would be an inprovement on the Wagonaire. I have always though that it would have made more sense to have that ribbed aluminum panel that backdrops the Studebaker letters on my 63 Wagonaire to be replicated vertically on the sides. All they would have had to do was cut the existing panel in half, one for each side and then sedan backup lens could have been installed vertically, without the need to create a separate backup body and lens (what were they thinking?) It would 'frame' rear of the wagons better and tie the high taillight body in better, in an inverted "L" shape. Of course, it would have worked better if the rear panel/tailgate was flat. I'm doing little cutout and pasting of some Wagonaire and sedan pictures to see how it all looks.

jnewkirk77
10-28-2010, 12:10 AM
I've always thought this was a neat way to refinish "wood" framing on a station wagon: http://www.rickwrench.com/wood.html

IMHO, the Wagonaire cries out for the woody treatment. It "wood" be beautiful! ;-)

Bob Hutchins
12-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Those look good! Especially the top one. If they could have priced them right, I bet they could have sold many.

Bob

Devan
01-30-2016, 10:01 AM
I have been fascinated and obsessed the last few days with looking up prototypes, concepts, proposals, etc. of 1960's Studebakers. For a doomed company, there was a lot going on. So many different projects at the same time; it makes me wonder if the left hand new what the right hand was doing. Anyhow, running across this thread introduced me to the woody wagons. In the second photo, wagon facing left, there is a car in the background, apparently a sedan proposal. There seems to be a slight dip in the rear door and kicking up again in the rear fender that seems to be lengthened a little. The door pillars appear to be thinner. The whole effect gives the car a lowered look; perhaps it is. Anyone know of pictures of this car?