PDA

View Full Version : Water pump cores

starliner62
10-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Well, in celebration of my son's fifteenth birthday today and we decided that one of my sheds needed to be cleaned out. It's Studebaker related so James is having fun. So far I have come across at least ten standard V-8 water pump cores and a couple of six cylinder ones.
Since most vendors are selling new pumps, should I keep these or send them to the scrap pile? There are probably more that I have not found (yet).

I hate to throw any of this stuff away but if is there no need, they will go.

41 Frank
10-16-2010, 07:35 PM
My personal opinion as a vendor is that unless you need them for an exchange for another rebuilt one they have very little if any value. The rebuilt Champion pumps are cheaper new than rebuilt, the v-8 pumps a little more new. The only exception would be the Commander 6 cylinder pumps, those are rarer and should be kept. There again unless you are in the market to buy one of those exchange even they would have no value to you. At one time our supplier was looking for Commander 6 pump cores but I don't think he currently is. I know that we won't sell a Commander "6" pump without an exchange being received first or a hefty refundable core charge.

StudeRich
10-16-2010, 07:46 PM
If the day ever comes that you can no longer get New, 2 or 3 of those may come in handy especially the never rebuilt ones. Beyond that as Frank says, probably no use keeping them.

Cash out while the clean scrap Iron price is well over $125.00 a ton in most places not too far from a Port of export to Korea to build more ugly cars to clutter the roadways! :D

Mike Sal
10-16-2010, 08:16 PM
My opinion is that the V8 ones should be sold to a vendor, or re-builder. The "new" 6 cylinder ones are so much better than the originals, and the originals are a pain to rebuild, so it's not such a big deal to toss them.

There was a time when guys were saying the same things about cleaning out sheds full of "junk" 1920's car parts.....now look how hard it is to find them....
Mike Sal

(S)
10-17-2010, 08:18 PM
I'd save any Avanti, Big 6, a few small 6 and scrap the rest.

289stude
10-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Any body want these for this app.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/message/1210774902/tail+gates,+long+and+lots+of+pictures

StudeRich
10-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Mac's Tailgates? I never heard of any repro tailgates for sale, I wonder why he doesn't join SDC and advertise those, they are very nice and if that gray one next to the red oxide primer one is new vs original, I don't see any difference, maybe the letters are a 1/4" taller if so, that would mean the White Decals being made for them won't fit.