Brake shoe alternatives/cross-reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake shoe alternatives/cross-reference

Yesterday, as I was attempting to get the '60 V8 lark out of the barn, the passenger side front brake was seized up. I had to use my wheel puller to get it off. Once it was off, I discovered that the brake shoe material had separated from the metal shoe. It literally fell off.

I have a local independent "FLAPS" parts store that has been very reliable and patient with me over the years when it comes to Studebaker parts. After a little rambling in the back of the warehouse today, they came up with cylinder rebuild kits, master cylinder kit, and a set of rear brake shoes. However, they couldn't come up with front shoes. Even after a couple of phone calls, they couldn't locate any. They said that if I brought my old shoes in, they might be able to "match them up."

I thought I would throw this out to see if any of you knew of a "cross-reference" before I go back.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

I'm pretty sure those V-8 front shoes are a reline item only. Hope no one is throwing away their cores.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      I'm pretty sure those V-8 front shoes are a reline item only. Hope no one is throwing away their cores.
      So Brad! Tell me what glue to use and I will just glue this one back on! (Then I'll take you for a ride!)
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I've always preferred to rivet the new linings on when doing shoes. This used to be commonly done. I had a special tool for these rivets, but its location is unknown now.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I sent mine to Dave T-bow, he also did them for the Rockne. The last time I riveted a set was for the '51; used tools from an old shop that no longer exists.
          Brad Johnson,
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            I have i don't know how many sets of cores. Do any of our vendors buy them? I won't throw them away but I sure would like to get rid of them.
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1958 Commander "Christine"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

Yes vendors buy them. We can't buy any core that has even a scratch on the metal parts. Contact your favorite vendor before the next show and make arrangements for them to buy your cores.

The reason why you won't find V8 frt shoes is because there is no 'interchange' Lots of stude vendors have these on the shelf, (unless you guys keep hording the cores)

Comment

And, you're probably not going to get a set unless you can send your old cores. Many salvage/recycling yards are cleaning out their acreage for various obvious reasons. If you know of any Stude v-8's that are headed to the crusher, grab those front shoes.
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'd just grab the whole brake assemblies... nothing like doing a brake job and having a "new" set of backing plates already painted on the shelf

nate
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

While it's probably not much difference in service, it takes a better quality brake material to take a rivet than bonding glue.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Got my shoes for 63 lark from local o,rilleys store, don,t know about for 60. MAC

Comment

It seems like all of us on the forum preach "patience" from time to time. This time I suppose I should take my own advice. Afterall, I had left the car languishing in the man cave for over 15 years!

But, go figure, after I managed to pull the car to daylight, the only item I need to get the car going for (at least) "safe yard operation"...I can't get. There are about 5 additional parts stores in town, so I will try them before giving up.

Heck, I might just try to "Gorilla Glue" the lining back on the shoe until I can renew the whole system. I just want to be able to drive the car back into the man cave before it rains again.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by GEEMAC View Post
                          Got my shoes for 63 lark from local o,rilleys store, don,t know about for 60. MAC
                          You must have bought 6 Cyl. Front shoes, right MAC? The 11 in. V-8 Fronts are NOWHERE!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If this is any help the Wagner numbers for the V8 fronts (11 x 2-1/4) is 2046-5 and 2015D-177. This is from a 1966 Wagner book.

BTW the only other vehicle listed with these shoes is a Checker.
                            Dan Peterson
                            Montpelier, VT
                            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

I have a '57 Golden Hawk with 11" drums; I was planning on buying a total rebuild kit (for brakes) from Stude Intl. with a $100 core charge for the actual shoes. But I see they have the shoes with lining for sale separately too. (and doesn't mention core charges? wonder why...)
                              Part# 801457 BRAKE SHOES 1954-1966
                              V-8 Car all models front.

Comment

Working...
                              X