289 valve guide clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 289 valve guide clearance

My 289 from my '62 GT Hawk is being rebuilt and we are having a little problem with valve guide clearance. The manual calls for .001 to .0025. The first set we got from Studebaker International were .005. Way to much. They sent another set and they are not usable either - maybe. The intakes are .0035 so the builder will not use them. The exhaust measure .002 except in the mid section where they are .0035. All of them measure the same.
    The question is: Why the extra clearance in the middle, is this the way Studebaker made them and are they usable.
    The builder is very professional and will not put it togeather if it is not right. Can anyone advise.

Davaid Haynes
    '49 2R15 Flatbed
    '56 Golden Hawk
    '62 GT Hawk
    '63 Champ 8E 12
    sigpic

1. Are the valves new?
    2. If your builder doesn't like the SI guides, have him go to his seat and guide book and find a valve guide for another engine with the same OD, ID and length. They're in there.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I used chev. guides in my 62 289 gt.

And in my 71 Harley Sportster.

Patrick. (nibbs53)

Comment

I usually put bronze liners in the guides that need replacing. I can hone them to the right clearance.
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Thanks. Yes, the valves are new. He has found others that will work but we would like to use what we have, if we can. If they won't work, I will send them back to SI.
          Thanks for the response.
          David
          '49 2R15 Flatbed
          '56 Golden Hawk
          '62 GT Hawk
          '63 Champ 8E 12
          sigpic

Comment

starliner62; I hadn't thought of that. It will take a little more time(money) but is an option. thanks
            David
            '49 2R15 Flatbed
            '56 Golden Hawk
            '62 GT Hawk
            '63 Champ 8E 12
            sigpic

Comment

.001"/.0015" on the intake and .0015"/.002" on the exhaust...+.0005"/-.0000".
              Guides should "not" be barrel shaped. Nice, clean and straight. As another poster mentioned, if this isn't possible, inserts may be required.
              If the shop is good, verify the valve stems are straight also.

You'll just pound the seats out of shape and have leaky valve seats again with the guides too loose...and there goes your new valve work.

Mike

Comment

While you're at it, have your machinist cut the top of the guides for positive valve stem seals. We install them on all our Studebaker and Packard V8s.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Thank you Mike and Jack. That is the info I needed. For starliner62, we talked about inserts but he doesn't like them in a daily driver. He uses them in racing engines with good results but he doesn't think they hold up over the long run. Race car engines aren't expected to run untouched for 100K + miles. We have some coming from another source and, it they measure out ok, he will install them. And, yes, he has checked the valve stems.
                  David
                  '49 2R15 Flatbed
                  '56 Golden Hawk
                  '62 GT Hawk
                  '63 Champ 8E 12
                  sigpic

Comment

If those don't work out, have the Machinist order a couple sets for a English Perkins 4 Cyl. Diesel, I am told they have worked OK in more than one Stude. V-8, never tried it myself.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X