Carpet from SI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet from SI

I see that Studebaker International offers Carpet and states that its made to order and comes in various colors. I have a black & white Speedster that has light bluesh / grey carpet that looks to be wool. I've always thought that this carpet color did'nt compliment the cars exterior color.

My question, Does anyone have knowledge of what color carpet was used? Has anyone used the Carpet service of SI ?

Thanks, Murray
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

I have a black 55 Commander hardtop and bought the S.I. black carpet. I only have about 1000 miles on the car since everything was done. The carpet is a fairly loose fit and not super high quality, but I made a driver and this works fine for a driver. If mine were a Speedster and a show car I would spend a little more.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by stall View Post
      I see that Studebaker International offers Carpet and states that its made to order and comes in various colors. I have a black & white Speedster that has light bluesh / grey carpet that looks to be wool. I've always thought that this carpet color did'nt compliment the cars exterior color.

My question, Does anyone have knowledge of what color carpet was used? Has anyone used the Carpet service of SI ?

Thanks, Murray

I can supply most any level of carpet, but the Speedster/Golden Hawk wool blends are very expensive, now uses in high end imports. (i.e. Rolls Royce) I obviously can't comment on a competitors carpet that I have not used.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
        I can supply most any level of carpet ...
        I recently purchased a carpet set for my 63 Avanti. I purchased an upgraded carpet weave from John (80/20 Blend) that was more expensive than the standard carpet set. The carpet has not been installed yet as the chassis and body are just now being finished. I inspected the carpet when it arrived and the quality seemed good to me. John was good to deal with, give him a call and he can discuss the options and different types of carpet blends and pile (loop or cut) available.
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
          I can supply most any level of carpet, but the Speedster/Golden Hawk wool blends are very expensive, now uses in high end imports. (i.e. Rolls Royce) I obviously can't comment on a competitors carpet that I have not used.
          I used JDP's carpet set in my Hawk. All the peices were included (firewall and below the rear seat) even the little patches that fit in the corners. It was more than I expected, the fit was good and the installation went in easily...He's alway been a gentleman to deal with, I even bought my Lark from him. Now I'm about to convert the Lark to a R1 and powershift so it looks like he going to get an order for a new set of carpets for the Lark as well... I need to talk to him about the some bucket seat covers as well.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I guess I should report that I bought an SI carpet for my Lark. It was, in general, acceptable, but I felt it should have fit better, I wasn't happy with the color, and I don't think it was cut from the factory pattern - the carpet I took out went up the firewall, this one did not. In my novice opinion, the carpet I got would not be proper for a full-blown restoration.

--george
            1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Murray, I bought the 2 front floor mats for my speedster from SI. They were custom cut for the speedster, taking into account things like whether you have a clutch or not, cutout for heater under seat etc. The materials quality is good but I am not too happy with how mine fit...they seem too long and maybe too wide as well. I can barely squeeze mine approx 4" under the driver's seat....not sure why they are that long. There are many available colors but it's difficult to know which to pick since you can't see them beforehand.
              ---Kurt

Comment

You know...when you think about it...SI is in a pretty unique position as a supplier. Few, if any, orphan makes have a supplier with such a wide spectrum of products available. From reproduction, re-manufactured, NOS, A to Z parts and accessories... It would be surprising if everything would be "top shelf" across the board. However, you should expect a dedicated upholstery shop to supply the best.

On the other hand, you have CASO's like me who go to Wal-Mart and buy the fuzzy stuff in a shrink-wrap roll labeled "carpet." A crude snip here and there with a pair of scissors, a tuck here and there, a little stomping around the tranny tunnel, and there you have it..."Carpet!"
                Low cost, low expectations...and it's disposable!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John,

Your explanation of fitting the carpet reminds me of the song from the Wizard of Oz: "Snip snip here, snip snip there and a couple of fa la la's..."
                  1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Everyone knows a quality Fa la la will cost you.

Comment

Just remember that besides JDP and S-I, there are at least two other carpet sources.
                      They have large ads in Turning Wheels...
                      Talk to everyone, get samples ask for prices, it can't hurt.
                      Carpet is an expensive and very visible part of the car, you'll have to live with your choice for a loooong time.
                      Last edited by JBOYLE; 10-16-2010, 10:20 AM.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Sorry to say that this is one area where I stay away from the Stude vendors unless you are building a driver or are ok with a mid-level restoration. If you are building a mid-range car, I would go with Phantom or Historic Automotive (JDP). For a top quality fit and material I go to a very high level interior shop and have the material ordered to perfectly match what was taken out of the car and have them hand cut and custom make each piece to a perfect fit. Top level restoration carpet will cost you twice the money if not a little more than the mid level route. Best of luck

Comment

Working...
                        X