Headers for Lark w/sbc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers for Lark w/sbc

Winter's coming, time to take it apart. Awhile back, a member asked me about long tube headers for their SBC powered Lark. I'm using shorties that clear evrything OK. He later found some Chevy headers that cleared OK, except the Ross steering box. He said he was going to piece it in around the box without much trouble. I've lost track of him. Does anyone have info of which model Chevy header would be a good starting point?

Art Rigsby

Art, I'm not the guy your looking for, but I have a sbc in my Lark. I used Patroit tight tuck headers. They fit pretty well. I had to dimple the left side a little for steering box clearance, but so far so good..hope this helps..

Comment

Thanks Prager, the headers I now have are the equivalent to the Patriots. They work OK, but the engine breathes much more than stock with the blower and matching cam. More air in, more air out. The car is not underpowered by any means, but the long tubes increase torque in the mid-range and the rest of the system is 2 1/2 " with an X-pipe to Flow Masters. I'm scaring myself now when I gas it, it runs out of road quickly! I enjoy modifying it as much as driving it. Keeps me focused! See ya at the poor house.............

Art Rigsby

BTW I got mine on eBay, 99 bucks, stainlees steel, 3/8" block flange, 4 yrs. and no leaks
      Last edited by Relark; 10-15-2010, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I used early Chevelle exhaust manifolds (drivers side rear dump to clear steering box, right side center dump) piped to Hush Thrush™ Super Turbo™ mufflers to provide vintage sound with good performance. I looked at all types of headers and decided I liked the look of standard manifolds better, so I searched junk yards until I found Chevy ones that would fit.

I have a mildly warmed over 350 engine, and stock size pipes work okay with it.

PS _I chose easy cruising and engine long life over top speed.
        Last edited by stude53; 10-15-2010, 03:47 PM. Reason: PS

Comment

Thanks Bob, '53 Starliner Hardtop is my favorite Stude!
          Back in '65 I stuffed a Ford 406 big block with Tri-Power in a Nash Metropolitan. I drove it daily to work on the great NH roads. Scared myself back then, too. Guess I haven't grown up much!

Art

Comment

Originally posted by Relark View Post
            I'm scaring myself now when I gas it, it runs out of road quickly! I enjoy modifying it as much as driving it. Art Rigsby
            Now this sounds like a lot of fun...Junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
            X