PDA

View Full Version : new valves

atomicrm
10-13-2010, 07:29 PM
About to purchase new valves (exhaust and intake) where is cheapest I can find them new

PackardV8
10-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Cheapest and new Studebaker valves can no longer be used in the same sentence. They've gotten seriously expensive, no matter where you find them. However, I'm anxiously waiting for someone to come up with a new source. The last I bought were obviously from offshore. The cellophane packaging was like I associate with other Made-in-India parts. Seems these days most Studebaker and Packard parts vendors I buy from remove all country-of-origin labeling.

jack vines

silverhawk
10-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Mr.Vines, quick question for you. Dick Datsun spoke in his performance newsletters of methods to switch to a Chevy valve train. What do you think of that idea? It sounds like there would be a greater valve choice to us then.

PackardV8
10-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Yes, I'm doing a production run of five sets of heads with Chevy valves and springs. There are many advantages; better quality valves, greater selection of valve springs and retainers at lower unit cost. Most importantly the Studebaker springs are long and squiggly. I've seen stop action photos of valve springs on Spintron machines. The longer the spring, the more they move in a lateral plane and the sooner they lose control and float the valves. I'm looking into using the latest beehive spring technology on this run of heads.

No, it's not all gravy. The most readily available and least expensive Chevy/Ford valves are about 1/8" shorter than Studebaker valves. This requires machining the bottom of the rocker shaft stands and shortening the pushrods a like amount. This is expensive and labor intensive.

Maybe, you'd like to wait and play along as I build these and see where we come out. We can end up with a much lighter, more stable, higher RPM valve train at not too much more cost than the old tech R3 valves and springs.

jack vines

ST2DE5
10-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Jack what length of push rod are you looking for. I have a bunch of Mopar push rods I could mike the length.

PackardV8
10-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Stude pushrods are longer than any Mopar I've ever seen. There are early and late lengths, but 11 5/16" is a starting place. Shortening them by 1/8" would be 11 3/16".

FWIW, to determine the ideal pushrod length for a Chevy/Ford valve conversion, each early/late rocker combination, plus anything milled from the heads and block requires some bench time, an adjustable length pushrod and a guy who knows how to read rocker sweep patterns.

jack vines

silverhawk
10-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the info! I would indeed like to follow along; for when it's my turn to play, I got a good set up. :D

raoul5788
10-13-2010, 11:32 PM
About to purchase new valves (exhaust and intake) where is cheapest I can find them new

I think I have a set of V8 intake valves. I have no idea what they are worth. Anybody know?

TX Rebel
10-13-2010, 11:59 PM
I have a good stock of 6 cyl & V8 valves & other engine parts including bearings, rods, cranks, heads, manifolds, blocks, etc.

(S)
10-14-2010, 01:12 AM
Ford 312 valves are one that will fit, and they are longer. chopping off the end and turning a new keeper grove is all they need. Is this something you can get done Jack?

FYI I stock some nos and repop valves. My new valves are proudly made in the USA.

PackardV8
10-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Ford 312 valves are one that will fit, and they are longer. chopping off the end and turning a new keeper grove is all they need. Is this something you can get done Jack?

Yes, the Ford 312" valves can be made to fit. However, they're not cheap either, then with the machine time of cutting to length and another groove, they're more expensive than just buying new repro Stude valves.

No, not everyone needs the Chevy valve conversion. For a straight rebuild, the Stude repro valves are the best way to go.

Two maybes:

1. Anyone trying to decide which way to go, count the number of times and length of time your Stude V8 spends above 4,000 RPMs. Seldom-to-never; stay with Stude valves and springs. Every-chance-I-get; go with the Chevy valve conversion.

FYI I stock some nos and repop valves. My new valves are proudly made in the USA. Thanks for that info (S). The following is not directed at you, but the general situation. It is understandable Stude vendors are conflicted. To protect the markup, most vendors hide their source of supply, because we and vendors know, it is in the CASOs nature to try to go direct next time and share the secret here as well. However, when parts come in a white box or cellophane-wrapping with no manufacturer's name or country of origin, it is also understandable why buyers suspect it is coming from offshore. If a part is Made-in-USA, then prove it by shipping the parts in the OEM box or otherwise positively identified. Can't have it both ways.

jack vines

(S)
10-14-2010, 12:28 PM
The sad truth is the less people ask for the good stuff, the less available it becomes. I'd recomend the HD SS valves on every rebuild for long life and put them in every engine we rebuild. less than 10 years ago the SS valves were 160 bucks, now they are over 200.........

Shipping these parts went up 30% over the same time frame.

Pistons, rings, tri metal bearings, head gaskets, valves, are all in the same boat right now and really bad weather is coming.

PackardV8
10-14-2010, 01:35 PM
The sad truth is the less people ask for the good stuff, the less available it becomes. I'd recomend the HD SS valves on every rebuild for long life and put them in every engine we rebuild. less than 10 years ago the SS valves were 160 bucks, now they are over 200.........

I'd agree. In the total cost of a performance head rebuild, the Chevy/Ford valves actually cost more to use. I'd always use the Studebaker SS valves if there were no performance difference. However, the Studebaker valve springs and retainers are no where close in performance to the best Chevy/Ford parts available today.

It seems as if there are more performance Studebaker V8 builds than in years past, but there are also many more vendors offering parts, thus fewer sales per vendor.

A bit OT on the valve issue, but it seems Stude parts vendors have decided CASOs are always nickle-dime comparison shoppers. Thus, where there were internet and TW ads with prices, very few vendors have published price lists any more. It would seem to waste a great deal of everyone's time; the buyers calling or e-mailing for prices and the vendors having to answer these inquiries. Vendors, what is your side of the story?

jack vines

(S)
10-14-2010, 05:43 PM
The internet is a funny thing. What valve prices have we found so far and will they tell you what quality/origin of them?