PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding this part

stevo5671
10-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Both of the interior door panels on my Power Hawk are missing the chrome strip that goes on the top of the door panel (above the ash tray and below the window). Not sure if those are readily available, can be custom made by someone, or if I'm in trouble. When I first got the car I figured it would be no big deal to find a new "white" steering wheel. Boy was I wrong. Since then I've been reluctant to assume anything is easy to locate. The attached picture is not from my car, I just posted it to show the part I'm looking for. Descent shape is fine with me...they don't have to be flawless. Thanks.

bondobilly
10-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Studebaker had a habit of "flipping" these trim parts from year to year. For example you might find that the piece you are looking for was used on an earlier model as a lower piece on the opposite door.
If you can go through some Chassis parts books and see if you can see one that looks similar.

woodysrods
10-13-2010, 09:56 PM
My 56 power hawk does not have that piece. But it is on my wifes 61 Hawk.
Brian

mbstude
10-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Can you measure the length of the piece you need? I may have them.

rockne10
10-13-2010, 10:25 PM
If this is the steering wheel you need, Shrocks makes it.

http://www.shrockbrothers.com/wheels/1956_J_17_in_wheel.jpg

Welcome
10-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Both of the interior door panels on my Power Hawk are missing the chrome strip that goes on the top of the door panel (above the ash tray and below the window). Not sure if those are readily available, can be custom made by someone, or if I'm in trouble.<<<>>> The attached picture is not from my car, I just posted it to show the part I'm looking for. Descent shape is fine with me...they don't have to be flawless. Thanks.

No, you're not in trouble ...yet!:)

The moulding along the top in that thumbnail does NOT belong on a '56 Power Hawk! The moulding running just above the arm rest is p/n 1313110-1. The moulding below that one is p/n 1313104 (optional with moulding p/n 299314X6). [Reference Studebaker-Packard Corp. Engineering drawing number 1313859

U. R. Welcome

stevo5671
10-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Welcome, I've attached pictures from my car. It looks to me like there should be a chrome strip on the top of the door panel since it would appear to line up with the chrome strip on the rear seat door panel and also because there appears to be an obvious "gap" between the top of the panel where the door itself is still flat and where the door starts to curve outward. It seems to me like a strip there would finish the door off nicely???????

stevo5671
10-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Matthew...it looks to be 40 1/2".

Rockne...It took me by surprise that I would need to drop $700 on a steering wheel for a car I paid $1500 for. With someones help from the old newsgroup, I was able to locate a wheel that I could restore and paint white. I think it was off a 55 but I don't remember what model. I actually sold my old wheel to Shrock Bros. for like $40 and it's probably all pretty and new looking mounted on somebody's 56J now.

PackardV8
10-14-2010, 12:00 PM
My Power Hawk always had a black steering wheel. Was white original or optional? Of course, my '56 Golden Hawk came with the white steering wheel which crumbled into dust after 30-40 years. That there are no other sources is why Shrock can get $700 for a steering wheel. That's also why I don't restore cars to show ;>)

jack vines

mbstude
10-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Matthew...it looks to be 40 1/2".

I have a pair. Very nice, one has a little ding. I can make 'em show quality, no problem. mbstude@gmail.com

StudeRich
10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Yes Jack you have the Standard Black wheel if you have a Flight Hawk or Power Hawk with the cheap small horn BUTTON.
The Deluxe Wheel was Off White (Ivory) with Horn Ring Provisions and the Ring and nice Horn Button.

Usually the Optional padded Dash AND Deluxe Steering Wheel were ordered together, but not always by dealers who were aware of how cheap they looked without them!

StudeRich
10-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Welcome, I've attached pictures from my car.

Your door panel is not original, it is a replacement, so that is why it does not fit, and has washered screws instead of hidden panel clips to fasten it.

Welcome
10-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Your door panel is not original, it is a replacement, so that is why it does not fit, and has washered screws instead of hidden panel clips to fasten it.

StudeRich, you of course are right about the replacement door panel, but I didn't want to be the one to break the news!;)

FWIW; the Rear Quarter Trim Panels on a '56 Power Hawk are each attached with 4 clip type Fasteners (p/n 1917X1), 3 Screws (p/n G162312), 3 Washers (p/n 692X8) and 1 Nail (p/n G143038) as per Studebaker-Packard Corp. Engineering drawing number 1313749

valleyguy
10-14-2010, 03:42 PM
If you don't want to replace those panels with originals, (or make your own) just move the panel up to close the gap; better a gap at the bottom than at
the top..

Joe D

stevo5671
10-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Thank you to everyone for your input. I'm not surprised or disappointed to hear that those are not the original door panels. The car was in pretty rough shape when I got it and the door panels were actually not too bad compared to the rest of the car. Now that I've got the rest of the car looking better, its the door panels that are looking a bit tired.