PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Steinkamp "Ute" sells at auction.

JBOYLE
10-12-2010, 11:14 PM
We followed it through its acquisition, restoration and eventual sale, so I thought you might be interested in an update.

According to Hemmings , the green 53 custom "Ute" sold at the high-end RM Monterey auction in August for a surprisingly modest $52,250. It was rated in #2- condition (due to a chip in the tailgate, some orange peel and a bit of wavy bumper chrome). The go kart went with it so they called it a bargain.

I don't know what Dick sold it for, but I think someone took a bit of a bath...or at least a shower. :)

ddub
10-13-2010, 12:03 AM
I for one really miss Dick's contributions to this forum.

JRoberts
10-13-2010, 06:37 AM

Amen to that!

junior
10-13-2010, 10:27 AM
If that Ute rates a #2, just how nice does a car need to get a #1??? I would venture to say that Dick's restoration was probably far better in quality and detail then the original customization...just a gut feeling... but #2 for a paint chip and wavy bumper. Wow, doesn't make sense to me. Junior

silverhawk
10-13-2010, 11:01 AM
There was orange peel on that car? WOW!!! It must be awful small, I didn't see any when I saw the car.

Skip Lackie
10-13-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm no expert in rating the quality of car restorations, but I do read the auction summaries in Hemmings every month. ANY imperfection, no matter how slight, drops a car from #1 to a #2+. The #1 rating is reserved for those cars that are virtually perfect, with no wear showing anywhere -- maybe 1% of those presented for auction.

raoul5788
10-13-2010, 11:56 AM
If that Ute rates a #2, just how nice does a car need to get a #1??? I would venture to say that Dick's restoration was probably far better in quality and detail then the original customization...just a gut feeling... but #2 for a paint chip and wavy bumper. Wow, doesn't make sense to me. Junior

The 1957 Clipper wagon that just sold was also rated a #2. It was as nice a restoration as I have seen in quite a while, so I guess they are reluctant to give out 1's.

JGK 940
10-13-2010, 01:05 PM

So do I. PM sent.

jclary
10-13-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm no expert in rating the quality of car restorations, but I do read the auction summaries in Hemmings every month. ANY imperfection, no matter how slight, drops a car from #1 to a #2+. The #1 rating is reserved for those cars that are virtually perfect, with no wear showing anywhere -- maybe 1% of those presented for auction.

In this case, I have rarely seen an "unsold" new car sitting on a car lot that would meet the standard for #1. I first noticed imperfections in "New" cars back in the '60's while visiting my uncle who was a salesman for a Ford dealer in Charleston, S.C. Brand new cars were sitting on the lot with rusty nuts and bolts under the hood (already)!

When BMW was under construction, some of the manufacturers I represented started grooming me (since many of the facilities fell within my territory) to sell to BMW and the tier one and tier two suppliers that were locating in the area. That was when I really began to look for and notice "fit and finish" quality of new car offerings.

It is amazing at what you pay attention to and notice once you have a "dog in the hunt!!

BobPalma
10-13-2010, 01:51 PM

What Skip said.

To quote The Old Cars Value Guide that established the #1 - #6 categories:

"#1: Excellent. Restored to current maximum professional standards of quality in every area...a show car that is not driven.

In national judging, a #1 car is likely to win top honors in its class. In a sense, it has ceased to be an automobile and has become an object of art. It is transported to shows in an enclosed trailer and, when not being shown, it is stored in a climate-controlled facility.

It is not driven. There are very few #1 cars."

That about says it all. BP

Welcome
10-13-2010, 08:39 PM
We followed it through its acquisition, restoration and eventual sale, so I thought you might be interested in an update.

According to Hemmings , the green 53 custom "Ute" sold at the high-end RM Monterey auction in August for a surprisingly modest $52,250. It was rated in #2- condition (due to a chip in the tailgate, some orange peel and a bit of wavy bumper chrome). The go kart went with it so they called it a bargain. I don't know what Dick sold it for, but I think someone took a bit of a bath...or at least a shower. :)

And all this time I thought THIS was the Ex-Steinkamp "Ute"!:o

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/P1310015reduced.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/P1310016reduced.jpg

JBOYLE
10-14-2010, 12:06 AM
And all this time I thought THIS was the Ex-Steinkamp "Ute"!:o

Dick would not be amused.... :0

StudeRich
10-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Good God, you HAVE to be kidding! That thing? it's a Ch**y, not even a Studebaker!

Welcome
10-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Good God, you HAVE to be kidding! That thing? it's a Ch**y, not even a Studebaker!

YES, of course I'm kidding!!! Seems some members have lost their sense of humor:) on here lately!!!;)

FWIW; spotted that Bullet Nose-Chevy in a mall parking lot earlier this year in Bradenton, FL

candbstudebakers
10-14-2010, 11:39 AM
At this price it still went for more than Dick sold it for and now I think this is the 3ed time it sold.