PDA

View Full Version : Part needed

wdills
10-12-2010, 08:57 PM
I am looking for a throtle bell-crank, or what ever they call that thing for a 61 Hawk with a 289. I am looking for the thing that bolts on the back of the block. The gas pedal linkage hooks to the bottom and the carb linkage hooks to the top. I need the one set-up for a 3 spd overdrive. The one I have is for a 4-spd and doesn't have the arm to actuate the overdrive kickdown switch.

Anybody have one or know someone that might?

Thanks
Wayne

studeclunker
10-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I just might have what you're looking for. Sans the linkage that comes out of each end. The pedal arm and carb. reach arm on your current bellcrank will bolt on to the replacement. I'll have a look around in the morning.

rockne10
10-12-2010, 10:31 PM
I may also. Took one off my Cruiser 289 w/3spd OD when I installed the 289 in my '53. The '53 bell-crank bolts to the firewall so I should have it here somewhere.

wdills
10-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Thanks guys, let me know.

wdills
10-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Studeclunker,
Any luck finding that bellcrank? Rockme10 has the same one I have now.

Anybody else out there have one they wany to sell?

studeclunker
10-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Wayne, I got your P.M. and must confess to being completely confused. I know next to nothing about Hawks and only a little about anything else. What I have is the type of throttle bellcrank that would be on any Lark, Champ, or earlier sedan and wagon with the 259/89 motor. If you need anything different for a Hawk, I wouldn't know. Mine bolt on the back of the block and have two reach rods.

Perhaps someone else could chime in here and explain the differences between the Hawk's Throttle Bellcrank and that for other models?

rockne10
10-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Clunk,
Should be the same. He just needs one that has the tab to make contact with the overdrive kick-down switch. The one I have, and the one he has, is for a standard three-speed or automatic. Mine has the mount for the switch but lacks the tab to activate the kick-down.

studeclunker
10-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Okay... then I have one for him... mayyybe

Oh, if not me, then George in Grant's Pass. I sent several motors up to him and one or two had those on them. Let me check with George too!:D

wdills
10-20-2010, 07:31 PM
OK, maybe I am wrong. Here is the whole story. I have 2 engines. The 259 came out of a Lark (according to the engine serial number), the 289 is in the Hawk and is correct for the Hawk according the the engine serial number. The bell crank that is installed on the 259 is about 2 or 3 inches longer (top to bottom) than the bell crank on the Hawk. They both mount on the back of the blocks in the same manner. The bell crank on the Lark engine has the overdrive kickdown tab but because it is longer, the Hawk accelerator pedal linkage won't line up to connect to the bottom of the bell crank. As discussed before, the bell crank on the 289, doesn't have the overdrive kickdown tab.

Based on the crazy stuff I have seen on the car that the Lark 259 was installed in, I would not be suprised to discover that the bell crank on that car was modified in some manner or maybe it came off of a completly different car. I just assumed that because it came out of a Lark, all Larks used a longer bell crank.

Anybody want to chime in here and tell me why my bell cranks are different lengths?

Thanks to all.

rockne10
10-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Another instance of my having spoken without consulting the parts catalog which, of course, I do not have here. It's quite probable the bell-crank for the Lark is longer; different accelerator geometry in the shorter wheelbase.

wdills
10-21-2010, 08:31 PM
I measured the bell crank that fits the Hawk tonight. The bell crank I need is 13-7/8" from top to bottom. I took that measurement while it was still in the car so it may not be exact but should be close. Studeclunker, how long is the bell crank you have?