Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here we go again---new oil spec coming out. GM required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go again---new oil spec coming out. GM required.

Read about it here:

Autoblog brings you car news; expert reviews of cars, trucks, crossovers and SUVs; and pictures and video. Research and compare vehicles, find local dealers, calculate loan payments, find your car's book value and get a service estimate at Autoblog.com.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
    I have to pay over $100 to change the oil in my Benz. 8 quarts of synthetic and a expensive filter that gets a high voltage charge. The good news is it has a 12,000 mile change interval, even better than the 10K with the new GM oil.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

VW has had special spec oil for their TDI's for awhile now. Only problem is, most VW dealers weren't using it.
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I'll bet that the new oil specification will have even less anti wear additives than the SM rated oils with a higher price. This is another stab in the wallet for car owners. Bud

Comment

About the special oil for Volkswagen TDI, I buy it (505 00 spec for mine, but YMMV) from dealers or independent sources and I do it myself. I have run across more than one dealer that isn't using the special oil, but it really is required for a diesel turbo to help prevent coking. VW will hang you out to dry if you aren't using it. I have completely removed virtual all servicing from dealerships and will go with trusted and honest independent garages or do the work myself. The latest boondoggle of a written estimate for repairs from a "Wolfsburg Award Dealer" sort of convinced me--$4000 for a 'blown turbo' as well as a regular replace item, a new timing belt, which turned out to be $500 elsewhere for a new timing belt, intake cleaning, and oil change-- I already knew there was nothing wrong with the turbo itself. The unfortunate thing about the otherwise wonderful TDI is that VW themselves doesn't tell you how you have to treat it and drive it to avoid problems (see www.tdiclub.com for the right stuff), and many VW dealers are notorious...

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
            I have to pay over $100 to change the oil in my Benz. 8 quarts of synthetic and a expensive filter that gets a high voltage charge. The good news is it has a 12,000 mile change interval, even better than the 10K with the new GM oil.
            If the oil change interval does rise to 10,000 miles or more with a warranty, I'm in. My current mobility appliance,2008 Impala, gets it's oil changed when the computer says to do it. About 7500 miles currently, and remains under warranty.

For cars I care about in my hobby collection, 83 Avanti and 54K with SBC, the oil change interval will remain 3000 miles or once a year.

Bob

Comment

Is there also a maximum time interval on your M-B? Now that I drive very little on any one car, I find myself changing by time and the car has only gone 1K to 4K miles since the prior change.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Is there also a maximum time interval on your M-B? Now that I drive very little on any one car, I find myself changing by time and the car has only gone 1K to 4K miles since the prior change.
                Your Mercedes will tell you

"Your Mercedes-Benz is equipped with a Flexible Service System which includes a very sophisticated oil quality monitor. The system looks at driving speeds, cold starts, short-distance trips and other factors that can negatively affect oil life. It also monitors the quality of the oil – particles in suspension and other factors – and it can judge when the oil has deteriorated to the extent that it needs to be replaced. "

According to Mercedes forum, a guy had his oil analyzed at the 13,200 mile, recommenced change and found it was actually good for more, but that was highway use.
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Wouldn't the oil be Mobil 1?
                  IIRC, all 2000-on MBs came with it from the factory. I switched to it at its first (1500 mile) oil change.

I change my CLK's oil only when it tells me to. I don't drive it a great deal...50k since 1999, and not at all during the winter Nov-March (though it's kept in a heated garage and started up ...and allowed to warm up...occasionally). So I change oil about once every 18 months.

I hope M-B knows what it's talking about, I'd hate to think I'm neglecting the engine. But as I said, I just do what the car tells me to.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                    Wouldn't the oil be Mobil 1?
                    IIRC, all 2000-on MBs came with it from the factory. I switched to it at its first (1500 mile) oil change.

I change my CLK's oil only when it tells me to. I don't drive it a great deal...50k since 1999, and not at all during the winter Nov-March (though it's kept in a heated garage and started up ...and allowed to warm up...occasionally). So I change oil about once every 18 months.

I hope M-B knows what it's talking about, I'd hate to think I'm neglecting the engine. But as I said, I just do what the car tells me to.
                    180K on my 1998 280C (aka Atlantic City express) and it it's down about a pint between 12K oil changes and has no major repairs, just tires and wiper blades. When it dies at 250-400K, I'll buy another 10 year old example. Makes you wonder how well Studebaker would have done if they still had the Benz franchise, maybe using some Benz engines by now.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

My 1997, D300 Benz has about 250,000 on it. Change every 3500-4000... Shell Rotella... No complaints, no problems.... I add about 10-12 ozs of 2 stroke oil (Royal Purple) to the fuel each fill-up.(for the I/P)

Comment

Working...
                      X