Any hawk experts in Detroit area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any hawk experts in Detroit area?

Looking for advice on feasibility of restoration of 1961 4 speed hawk.

Do you mean someone to do the work (i.e., restore a 1961 Hawk you own or are buying) or someone to examine a car you are thinking of buying in the Detroit area? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Do you mean someone to do the work (i.e., restore a 1961 Hawk you own or are buying) or someone to examine a car you are thinking of buying in the Detroit area? BP
      Neither. I already own the car. I had a "trusted" person go out of state to examine it an buy it if good: He had a mistake. I was going to do the work as I have done restos before, but this animal is unfamiliar to me. Ideally it would be nice to find someone with a good hawk to take measurements from. The floors are shot and there is a little frame damage behind the bumper. If this was a Mopar and something was out of whack I'd see it, but being unfamiliar with Studebakers I could make big mistakes in the repairs. Normally I can fab most parts but without knowledge of what the correct form should look like (the floors for example, and their placement in relation to the sills), again I could make some big mistakes. Beyond a good car to use as a reference, I would like to just have an experience Hawk person to look at it to get an idea of whether it is worth the effort to restore.

Comment

If you could post some detailed photos of the suspect areas here, forum members could suggest courses of action, even if it was to conclude the car is beyond restoring and would best be a candidate for parting...or a Serial Number swap to a better "tub." BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If you can get a catalogue from Classic Enterprises, you may find everything you need. I used their complete floors, frame to body supports, trunk floor..... I just about ordered everything they make for C/Ks. 18 Gauge stamped to original specs. Put the floors in before you lift a body off the frame. My car was hit and we measured the frame for "square". Luckily it was not out, but it looked weird to me, too. There are lots of pics available on this forum that would show the frame with the body off. Good old Lamonte at Classic Enterprises is a trooper and even coached my body shop over the phone. Worth a look!
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
          X