Paint PROBLEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint PROBLEM

Okay here goes. This is a tough one. The Hawk is in the body shop in prime, they lost the code that they used to paint it after the fire.
    So. I went to Ray's site, and got the OFFICIAL color for Ceramic Green which Rene said was CORRECT. http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/PaintForms.htmRene says Ceramic Green is a direct match to 1995 GM Elk Heart Green. Did a search for Elk Heart Green and wound up with a photo of a 1995 Corvette, painted Elk Heart Green.http://www.musclecars-and-classics.c...es.asp?id=1378 EASY...HUH. Went to two Corvette sites, and a PPG site, and there is no Elk Heart Green listed. None... Nada, nuthin. http://www.corvettepaintcodes.com/Is Rene wrong, is GM wrong is DuPont wrong, or am I missing something?

It will probably rain on May 5th anyway

BG

Bill - I find it hard to believe that GM would name a color "Elk Heart." Perhaps the name is Elkhart (as in Indiana) or something similar.

I just checked. - Elkhart Green is a 1972 Corvette color with a paint code number of 946. On my monitor, the color looks like your Hawk.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bill - I find it hard to believe that GM would name a color "Elk Heart." Perhaps the name is Elkhart (as in Indiana) or something similar.

I just checked. - Elkhart Green is a 1972 Corvette color with a paint code number of 946. On my monitor, the color looks like your Hawk.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary
        Found the Elkheart Green you provided. It is very close. Still have till Monday morning to get the answer.

I have one more trick up my sleeve. Ken mixed up a batch of paint and I found some mixing sticks here that were used, going to take them down and have him compare it.

Thanks
        Bill

Comment

Gary
          Found the Elkheart Green you provided. It is very close. Still have till Monday morning to get the answer.

I have one more trick up my sleeve. Ken mixed up a batch of paint and I found some mixing sticks here that were used, going to take them down and have him compare it.

Thanks
          Bill

Comment

Bill,
            If you are only painting a portion of the car, the best way to match it is with an optical scan/computer match of some of the paint currently on the car. Remove the gas filler lid, or a cowl vent and most any good automotive paint store can scan it and produce a match that will be better than what you are trying to do.

In any case, my guess is that NOTHING will match perfectly. In certain lights you will probably be able to see a difference. A good shop will "blend" the new paint into some of the old paint when spraying to minimize this, but you'll probably still notice.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Bill,
              If you are only painting a portion of the car, the best way to match it is with an optical scan/computer match of some of the paint currently on the car. Remove the gas filler lid, or a cowl vent and most any good automotive paint store can scan it and produce a match that will be better than what you are trying to do.

In any case, my guess is that NOTHING will match perfectly. In certain lights you will probably be able to see a difference. A good shop will "blend" the new paint into some of the old paint when spraying to minimize this, but you'll probably still notice.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Bill,
                If you are only painting a portion of the car,
                This simple left rear quarter panel repair has turned into a complete re-paint.

The hit, moved the rear bumper backwards, pushing it out, and forcing it in on the right. Damaged the rear valance and around the trunk area along with the fin.
                The stainless side trim scored the fin, putting a deep horizontal line down the length. That was what my earlier postings about fin trim were about.

As they started repairing the damage, they found the first signs of rust in the rockers, this after almost 15-16 years on the road. Since I have been AWOL for three years, I did not "see" other damage to the car that occured so this is where we are as of 10:30 this morning

The hard thing to swallow is that the guy who hit it is willing to pay for his part. Fin damage, trim, tail light, lens, and valance. Me, I got to cough up the rest.

If it was not for this museum showing on the 5th in Ct. I would probably not be so pickey. But now, with a possibility of bringing it to SB, I want it right.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Bill,
                  If you are only painting a portion of the car,
                  This simple left rear quarter panel repair has turned into a complete re-paint.

The hit, moved the rear bumper backwards, pushing it out, and forcing it in on the right. Damaged the rear valance and around the trunk area along with the fin.
                  The stainless side trim scored the fin, putting a deep horizontal line down the length. That was what my earlier postings about fin trim were about.

As they started repairing the damage, they found the first signs of rust in the rockers, this after almost 15-16 years on the road. Since I have been AWOL for three years, I did not "see" other damage to the car that occured so this is where we are as of 10:30 this morning

The hard thing to swallow is that the guy who hit it is willing to pay for his part. Fin damage, trim, tail light, lens, and valance. Me, I got to cough up the rest.

If it was not for this museum showing on the 5th in Ct. I would probably not be so pickey. But now, with a possibility of bringing it to SB, I want it right.

Comment

[)]Gosh,Bill....sorry you're having to deal with all that. Maybe the "silver lining" is that you were able to catch and repair some rust that you might have otherwise not found for awhile.[)]

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                    http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

[)]Gosh,Bill....sorry you're having to deal with all that. Maybe the "silver lining" is that you were able to catch and repair some rust that you might have otherwise not found for awhile.[)]

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                      http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

I cant tell if the front side vents are on the car , but that is where I usually find the best unmolested color samples on the studes, inside where light never gets, good luck, Allen

Comment

I cant tell if the front side vents are on the car , but that is where I usually find the best unmolested color samples on the studes, inside where light never gets, good luck, Allen

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by oltrknut

On a Lark, the best, unmolested portable part I've found is the front door hinge cover piece that is held on by two screws. The flanged area also has a mounting hole for the door panel, and that flanged side would have remained covered over by the door panel since Day-1.

Craig.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by oltrknut

On a Lark, the best, unmolested portable part I've found is the front door hinge cover piece that is held on by two screws. The flanged area also has a mounting hole for the door panel, and that flanged side would have remained covered over by the door panel since Day-1.

Craig.

Comment

Working...
                              X