Gas Tank Renu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Renu

Has anyone used the Gas Tank Renu company to have an old gas tank repaired?

The short answer is yes.The long answer is yes;nice people, great service,they do what they do well, and I even got a tour of the shop when I dropped my tank off.But it was pricey.My total was $425 and that was in 2005.While you're at it you may as well get a new sending unit and replace any lines that look cheezy.The upside to all of this is that you won't have to do this ever again as long as you own your car. If you are keeping this car for the long term I would recommend it.

Comment

They repaired the replacement gas tank purchased from a Studebaker parts vendor as being in excellent condition. This was for my 5E 40.
      Has worked fine for seven years now.

Bob Coolidge
      DeLand, FL
      sigpicBob Coolidge
      DeLand, FL

Comment

Pretty much what rusty65 said. I had the tank for my 1956 Packard Clipper done at GasTankRenu in 2005 as well; about $300 IIRC. Very pleased as they do a thorough coating inside and out (different materials for exterior versus interior) and then bake the whole treated tank in huge oven to seal everything. Very effective.

They can work miracles on marginal tanks. He showed me an odd, peanut-shaped tank that wrapped around the third seat area of a 1957 Ford(?) 9-passenger wagon. It was in bad shape as to rust and dents but the proprietor said they'd have no problem fixing it.

Warranted as long as you own the car, too. They put a serial number tag on the tank when it is done, so they know what tanks they have repaired and can track them.

Pricey but worth it IMHO. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You should know that this company sells franchises. Your experience will depend on the individual doing the work. In the late 90's I let two different franchises work on tanks for me. The first time I took (as opposed to shipped) a tank for a '37 Cord to a franchise in Illinois. When completed, that tank was shipped to Federal Way, Washington, and I received a tank from a LaSalle in Missouri. I finally got the Cord tank back, but it was an ordeal. The second time I let a different franchise work on a tank for a '47 Hudson pickup. Hudson used a gas pickup tube surrounded by a filter screen. You'd think that if they did all the quality control checks they claim in their process that someone would have checked it, but when I got it back, the screen was completely blocked and the pickup tube was plugged. Twice was enough for me. I'll never use them again

Comment

got one done for my lark, $165 in 2007. Don't know why the large variance in prices posted here, but it's based on size. Must be some regional differences too. It looks great and has the warranty! I would recommend it.

Comment

Last year took my 55 coupe gas tank to Strip Rite in Union Grove, Wi., they stripped the tank, looked good as new. Had to paint and seal the tank myself. Only cost about $70.

Comment

Working...
              X