PDA

View Full Version : opinion needed on this Wagonaire tailgate...

AKAchamptrucking
10-10-2010, 03:48 PM
I know these are unobtainum in nature,but is this one too far gone to save? I have it in the parts pile,and I am on the fence on if I should keep it or not.What do you think??

BobPalma
10-10-2010, 03:52 PM
OK, it's rough, Rich.
But it can be saved and you'll hopefully save it for someone less fortunate down the road. BP

63t-cab
10-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Rich, if you do'nt need it I'm sure someone would take it(to save and use)

AKAchamptrucking
10-10-2010, 04:01 PM
OK Bob. I hear ya. Sometimes it is hard to judge what too far gone is!

sbca96
10-10-2010, 04:15 PM
I bet if you had it sand blasted it wouldnt look half as bad. Looks like it needs
the lower front and bottom rear replaced. Not too elaborate pieces.

Tom

woodysrods
10-10-2010, 04:17 PM
I think I know someone with an extra one that is far better shape. I will check for you tomorrow.
One gate with power rear window and other with manual??
He actually has the whole wagonaire for sale with a lot of extra parts.
Brian

jclary
10-10-2010, 04:22 PM
OK, it's rough, Rich.
But it can be saved and you'll hopefully save it for someone less fortunate down the road. BP

I agree with Bob on this. Just about any part that has rusted but has enough material to maintain original dimensions, can be repaired. Even if you have to cut and weld extensive patches, it can be "re-created" with some skilled welding. The difficult problem would be in trying to make one from "scratch" with no reference points. Keep it unless you are tripping over it often. Surely someone out in "Studebaker" land would like to have it.

AKAchamptrucking
10-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Brian, I would love to find another in better shape. Power window or not. I have both setups. My power window motor is weak in one direction so I will have to have it rebuilt. I have another tailgate that has worm holes in it across the bottom. I intend to use it unless a better one pops up.This one in the picture was close to going bye bye,but I will just save it till someone needs one. Thanks for the opinions guys!