1976 Avanti II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 Avanti II

Proof that people like lots of pictures and video. It doesn't matter that the car is a cockroach. The stupid money bids will pour in:

He's an ivy league graduate and he was quoted in the AARP magazine...plus his Ebay ID is "goldenrulefan"...he has me sold! Ya can't get better endorsements than that!
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

It is a "no reserve" auction, so he is letting the market set the price.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Welcome to marketing in the internet age. Where how you market, is more important than what you market.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
          Welcome to marketing in the internet age. Where how you market, is more important than what you market.
          At the risk of pissing everyone off.....If he was all that educated, he would not be selling it to poor everyday slobs on E-bay.
          If you want the most money, advertize where the most money is. It may cost a grand to place the ads but hey, just mark it up like everyone else does.
          The largest market coverege does not always translate into sales.
          I owned a art/jewelry gallery and everyone said I should lower my prices on MY jewelry and sell more of it.
          I turned out that I may have sold less volume, but I more than made up for it in higher end sales.
          I had 50+ lookers for every sale. (turns out so did everyone else in that so-called "art community").
          Know your client and market.
          It is not elitist, snobbish it is common sense.
          Last edited by bezhawk; 10-10-2010, 03:58 PM. Reason: additions, spelling
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Really, the guy might just be as good and great as he thinks he is. Just from the pictures, it don't look like too bad a car if it can be bought at a fair price. However, if I were to buy it, the first thing I would do is remove those extra lights and cobble them on my old tractor.

Since I have never owned an Avanti, I would have to take a friend that really knows what to look for and check it out personally before attempting to buy one.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Watch the video

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Really, the guy might just be as good and great as he thinks he is. Just from the pictures, it don't look like too bad a car if it can be bought at a fair price. However, if I were to buy it, the first thing I would do is remove those extra lights and cobble them on my old tractor.

Since I have never owned an Avanti, I would have to take a friend that really knows what to look for and check it out personally before attempting to buy one.
                John

I, like you, was prepared to take exception with the original posters until I took the time look at underbody pictures. Those changes my mind. The hog troughs are badly scarred with rust but that would not be the deal killer. The frame is badly delaminated in several spots and would either need a complete rebuild or replacement. The front rear spring mounts also look affected. For a couple thousand more than the starting bid there are others out there that require much less work. Much like the 83 I bought which was much better to start with. It had a couple of soft spots but they were easily repaired.

I'd pass unless I has a spare frame.

Bob

Comment

LOL! In spite of what he infers, he's obviously new to sales. The over-the-top narcissism that he thinks is going to make everybody swoon and bid is actually a big turn-off to anybody with the werewithal to buy a car like this. When I see a complete stranger telling me how everybody that knows him can trust him, I see a hustler- and a bad one at that. Like the three-card monty guy on the Boardwalk that tells you how easy it's going to be to win all his money

Might be a nice car, but I won't care; I laughed at his ad and am moving on. Even though it clearly states I can 'trust Seth with my eyes closed' <GG> Thanks, but my eyes will remain wide open, dude
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob

Let's at least give the seller credit for posting a ton of pictures illustrating the warts on the vehicle. Hyperbole aside, the ad is an honest representation of the vehicle as opposed to a ton of other Ebay and Craigslist offerings.

He also has a 100% rating of over 200 sales so he can't be all cowboy and no horse.

Bob

Comment

I'll agree with that; and others' mileage may vary. But for me, my experience is to avoid that type whenever possible.
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I logged that car 5 years ago. It had 127K miles on it then and looked a lot better
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                        X