Rebuilding a Hurst dual pattern 3 speed shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding a Hurst dual pattern 3 speed shifter

I finally broke down and challenged myself to build a shifter bracket for my T86 transmission. I adapted a Studebaker design and merged part of the Stude design (where it bolts to the tranny case) and a bracket from a Hurst kit (where the shifter bolts) a bit of fabricating from 1/4 inch plate and cutting of hurst parts and I have a bracket that a Hurst shifter will bolt nicely to a T86. I post pictures soon.

My next challenge is to get a three speed shifter. A friend found me a couple of Mr. Gasket Daytonas at a recent swap meet but boy, do they look flimsy... I could beef one up, plate steel is cheap but, um... why?

Ok, I need a Hurst 3 speed unit...

Today I was digging through boxes of junk before pitching out excess stuff from the basement ( why do I have this mass of 2x4 scraps????) and I came across a disassembled Hurst dual pattern 3 speed shifter in a grocery bag, missing the main shifter part and in another bag was a shift handle with the springloaded part that does the shifting, I think that the handle may have been for a Mustang... it has a odd left to right (or is it right to left) gooseneck toward the bottom of the handle. I don't think that the two originally went together... I vaguely recall building a shifter from pieces nearly twenty years ago but I have no idea what I did with it. I have plenty more boxes here and at my parents acreage that I will dig through Sunday

To get back on track, anyone have any idea how this thing might go together, if it goes together at all?

If I can get this thing together I can at minimum fab up some linkages over the winter until I can find a Hurst 3 speed shifter in one piece.

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Why not go with the Jeep shifter conversion from a T-90 that replaces the top cover? They're easy to get, and when you get done you have a bullet-proof setup- no linkage to mess with.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

If you just want a challenge, building a shifter from parts might be interesting, but I would not attempt it unless I had a unit that was almost complete and just needed a piece or two that could be robbed off a donor. Of course, someone built the original one so you could certainly build your own if you have the patience. I would buy a complete unit.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Copy the patent #'s from the shifter housing, and use them to view the patent at US Patent Office. That gave me a good "blow up" of the assembly, and an explaination of how it works, for my 4 speed shifter.
        Mike M.

Comment

Interesting idea. It is amazing what resources are available on line if you think to look.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I just made brackets and shifter rods to install a Hurst Dual-Pattern on a T85 going in my Stude pickup. Send me photos of what you've got and I'll take photos of mine so you can see what you're missing.

FWIW, getting a floor shift conversion to work correctly and fit correctly on an overdrive transmission is a real challenge. At least on the T85s, the overdrive solenoid is located precisely where the shifter wants to be. Most kits bend the rods like pretzels to get around the solenoid. Because mine is going in a custom truck, I mounted it higher than usual and then could keep the rods short and straight. It will require a custom doghouse around the shifter or a higher console in a car.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Working...
            X