Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you other Avanti owners keep your two-foot screwdriver??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you other Avanti owners keep your two-foot screwdriver??

Installed new trunk release cable. Seemed to work like a charm until the trunk was shut. Then it wouldn't open back up. Consulted Shop Manual which clearly instructed to open rear access panel and use 2' screwdriver to open trunk from inside. Does everybody have a 2' screwdriver? They're sure scarce in my neck of the woods. Finally attached regular size screwdriver to wooden pole and was able to manipulate it enough to get the trunk back open. After further adjustment everything seems to be working fine now. I wonder why Studebaker opted for such an elaborate setup rather than a simple lock & key design???
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

I keep mine in the garage but hey thats just me. So when I get an Avanti I will have the screwdriver to open the trunk.lol
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

I have a Snap on 2' screw driver that i paid $38 for, needed it when i was making springs to put the hooks on heavy duty extention springs. A guy can never have enough tools. Can take a pic if anyone wants to see it,
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

That was one of their design "features" - done that way to give the rear a very "clean" look. The Avanti had so little time and money invested in its design process that it's almost a miracle that it arrived with as few awkward features as it did. And it was designed to take a bite out of Thunderbird's market which valued visual impact over practicality. Keep in mind that in it's price range, the owner's didn't care how hard it maight have been to fix some problem - this was a car marketed to the "success" class. They didn't work on their own cars.

Comment

I rarely even lock the trunk lid just to avoid the problem. Neither my '70 nor the '02 Avanti has an exterior trunk release...both are electric operated. The '70 at least has the option of using the screwdriver method to unlock it but the '02 has absolutely no way of opening an otherwise non-functional trunk lock that I've been able to determine.

What would happen if your trunk lock cable breaks and you have a trunk full of luggage? You can't remove luggage through the access panel to use the screwdriver...you're definitely SOL at that point.

Studebaker was happy to advertise the access panel as a way to reach into the trunk for small items...they "neglected" to say the real reason for the access was in case the trunk cable broke.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

2' screwdrivers are usually available at our local flea market for a whole $1.00 each. Try getting into some mid 80s Masseratti Bi-Turbos when the electric trunk lock fails. We finally got it to release one last time (took about 2 hours of repeatedly hitting the release button) and installed an emergency release wire once we replaced the failed one but otherwise AFAIK its a torch thing. Steve
            sigpic

Comment

a "po" put an electric one on mine. the button is next to the map light. so far-so good...
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I need to check out a flea market then. The auto parts stores sure give you a puzzled look when you ask for one. I sold car parts at a big store back in the 70's and we never kept any screwdrivers near that long even though we sold both SK Wayne and Blackawk tools (at different times). Anyway, I ain't going on a trip without one...

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                2' screwdrivers are usually available at our local flea market for a whole $1.00 each. Try getting into some mid 80s Masseratti Bi-Turbos when the electric trunk lock fails. We finally got it to release one last time (took about 2 hours of repeatedly hitting the release button) and installed an emergency release wire once we replaced the failed one but otherwise AFAIK its a torch thing. Steve
                edp/NC
                \'63 Avanti
                \'66 Commander

Comment

Soon after buying my car the cable broke from years of inactivity and rust (I confess to opening the trunk a hundred times to show friends).
                  A SDC member friend kindly drove 40+ miles to help me install a new one.
                  I did buy a long screwdriver, I got the longest Craftman available. I When driving it away from home, I stick it under a rear floor mat.
                  Haven't had to use it yet, but only a matter of time.

BTW: I cleaned the latch with brake cleaner to get rid of 40+ years of dust, old grease, crud and trunk carpet fuzz, the lubed it with graphite. Seemed to make everything work a bit better.
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

You could keep it in the trunk?

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
                      You could keep it in the trunk?

Tom
                      Tom

You beat me too it. Just put it where you can grab it through the access panel.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        Just put it where you can grab it through the access panel.
                        .....Or get a "Trunk Monkey", they have many uses.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Tom
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Be sure to check out the "compilation" video. :-)

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
                          .....Or get a "Trunk Monkey", they have many uses.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Tom
                          Jim K.
                          63 Hawk

Comment

Working...
                          X