PDA

View Full Version : what do you think it is worth

beatnic
04-20-2007, 10:33 PM
1952 champion custom

http://picasaweb.google.com/had0012/Studebaker

This car is about 2 hours from my place, not many studs in mi

I would like to make it into a 51 bullet nose.
it looks like the bumpers are painted.. i talked to the guy and he said it was restored in the late 70s, said everything works except for the head and tail lights... but as it sit what would someone pay for it?, i am either thinking of putting a bullet nose on it, or fix the seats, door and hood, repaint it and sell it in a year or 2..

This car runs great and drives. Its an older restoration and would be a fun project car to restore to mint. I just don't have the time or money.

I have complete service records in the form of receipts from the previous owner as well as wiring diagrams and the original operators manual. The car is from the south and moved to Michigan in the mid 1980s. The previous owner passed away 8 years ago and the car sat for 6 years until I acquired it. I've recently replaced the master cylinder, the water pump, the alternator, battery (car has been converted to 12v system) had the gas tank relined, and put in a new headliner. The body is very solid shape

The bad: There's some minor bubbling around edge of doors as well a spot of rust on the front of the hood. The interior brown vinyl is a bit faded and has a few tears in the front and is busted open along the top edge in the back. The windshield has a crack. It needs some electrical work.

his Studebaker Champion with a straight-six runs better than a lot of newer vehicles. All mechanical systems are sound except the electric. The headlights, tail lights and turn signals are not functioning. This car contains some of the original nylon sheathed aluminium wiring. The body is in good shape. There's some minor bubbling around edge of doors as well a spot of rust on the front of the hood. There's a couple slight dents on the front passenger door. The interior brown vinyl is a bit faded and has a few tears in the front and is busted open along the top edge in the back.

I have complete service records in the form of receipts from the previous owner as well as wiring diagrams and the original operators manual. The car is from the south and moved to Michigan in the mid 1980s. The previous owner passed away 8 years ago and the car sat for 6 years until I acquired it. I've since replaced the master cylinder, the water pump, the alternator, battery (car has been converted to 12v system) had the gas tank relined, and put in a new headliner.

studeclunker
04-20-2007, 11:41 PM
The car looks to be in excellent shape. I have a very similar car with a V8. A Commander. Same colour, tan interior. These aren't the most popular Studes around. The value is reflected in this. Judging by your description, I'd say you would benefit from an entirely new wiring system. Mine is rife with bare wires, so I can sympathize.[V] I wouldn't pay more than a thousand for the car, but keep in mind that I'm also cheap. This car isn't drivable because of the lighting problem, no matter how strongly it runs. Good body work, however is priceless.:D So dicker accordingly.
Good luck.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

studeclunker
04-20-2007, 11:41 PM
The car looks to be in excellent shape. I have a very similar car with a V8. A Commander. Same colour, tan interior. These aren't the most popular Studes around. The value is reflected in this. Judging by your description, I'd say you would benefit from an entirely new wiring system. Mine is rife with bare wires, so I can sympathize.[V] I wouldn't pay more than a thousand for the car, but keep in mind that I'm also cheap. This car isn't drivable because of the lighting problem, no matter how strongly it runs. Good body work, however is priceless.:D So dicker accordingly.
Good luck.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

beatnic
04-21-2007, 03:56 PM
any one else have anything to say on this car?

beatnic
04-21-2007, 03:56 PM
any one else have anything to say on this car?

Lincoln77
04-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Just to give you my two cents. I bought a 1952 like that one but not in near the condition for $450.00. Mine was last tagged in 1968 and the floors and trunk are rusted out. I have a lot of work to do to mine just to get it looking like the one you are considering. Pay what you want for it if you plan on keeping it. They are fun. I found a junk '51 to get the bullet nose from. Paid a couple hundred for it. Good luck in what you decide and have fun. Keith

Lincoln77
04-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Just to give you my two cents. I bought a 1952 like that one but not in near the condition for $450.00. Mine was last tagged in 1968 and the floors and trunk are rusted out. I have a lot of work to do to mine just to get it looking like the one you are considering. Pay what you want for it if you plan on keeping it. They are fun. I found a junk '51 to get the bullet nose from. Paid a couple hundred for it. Good luck in what you decide and have fun. Keith

beatnic
04-21-2007, 06:27 PM
;)

lincoln77 how did it go converting it to a bullet nose

beatnic
04-21-2007, 06:27 PM
;)

lincoln77 how did it go converting it to a bullet nose

Lincoln77
04-21-2007, 06:42 PM
I have yet to convert. I still haven't decided if I want to go bullet, stay with original, or customize the front end. The '52 front right fender had rust through near the headlight and I have cut it out but am having trouble making a patch panel because of the compound curve. This is why I have contemplated doing the bullet front end.

Lincoln77
04-21-2007, 06:42 PM
I have yet to convert. I still haven't decided if I want to go bullet, stay with original, or customize the front end. The '52 front right fender had rust through near the headlight and I have cut it out but am having trouble making a patch panel because of the compound curve. This is why I have contemplated doing the bullet front end.

beatnic
04-21-2007, 08:16 PM
does any one else want to chime in on the value of this car

beatnic
04-21-2007, 08:16 PM
does any one else want to chime in on the value of this car

Dick Steinkamp
04-21-2007, 08:24 PM
'51 desirable Stude.

'53 VERY desirable Stude.

'52 not generally viewed as desirable

4 door. Least desirable of the '52's

It doesn't look rusty (very good thing), but it needs EVERYTHING. If you "restore" this car, you'll never get your money back out of it. Not that this is a bad thing if it is the car of your dreams and you intend to keep it forever.

I'd agree with Clunk on the value.

Buy it reasonably, fix those things that are broken. Drive it and enjoy it! :)

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
04-21-2007, 08:24 PM
'51 desirable Stude.

'53 VERY desirable Stude.

'52 not generally viewed as desirable

4 door. Least desirable of the '52's

It doesn't look rusty (very good thing), but it needs EVERYTHING. If you "restore" this car, you'll never get your money back out of it. Not that this is a bad thing if it is the car of your dreams and you intend to keep it forever.

I'd agree with Clunk on the value.

Buy it reasonably, fix those things that are broken. Drive it and enjoy it! :)

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

rockne10
04-21-2007, 08:48 PM
For current investment purposes, no; for preservation purposes, yes.
For future investment purposes, yes; for preservation purposes, yes yes!
As these sedans get parted out to restore the higher value convertibles and Starlights, the sedans get scarcer, and seldom seen at Shows and never on the road.
Let the parts cars be used for parts. Solid, easily restored sedans will be the surprise value in the near future.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

rockne10
04-21-2007, 08:48 PM
For current investment purposes, no; for preservation purposes, yes.
For future investment purposes, yes; for preservation purposes, yes yes!
As these sedans get parted out to restore the higher value convertibles and Starlights, the sedans get scarcer, and seldom seen at Shows and never on the road.
Let the parts cars be used for parts. Solid, easily restored sedans will be the surprise value in the near future.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/51x2.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

beatnic
04-21-2007, 09:38 PM
I might offer 1,500.00

beatnic
04-21-2007, 09:38 PM
I might offer 1,500.00

rockne10
04-21-2007, 09:54 PM
That might be an excellent deal.

rockne10
04-21-2007, 09:54 PM
That might be an excellent deal.

gordr
04-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Beatnic, if you can get that car for $1500, you are doing well, IMHO. The '52 styling will grow on you after a while. '52 was Studebaker's centennial year; no other manufacturer could make that claim at that time! It would be pretty easy to put a '51 front clip on there for the bullet-nose look, but a '50 front clip won't readily fit. I've seen some '52s modified with custom paint and the stock grilles, and they look pretty cool.

Buy it and drive it!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

gordr
04-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Beatnic, if you can get that car for $1500, you are doing well, IMHO. The '52 styling will grow on you after a while. '52 was Studebaker's centennial year; no other manufacturer could make that claim at that time! It would be pretty easy to put a '51 front clip on there for the bullet-nose look, but a '50 front clip won't readily fit. I've seen some '52s modified with custom paint and the stock grilles, and they look pretty cool.

Buy it and drive it!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

JimC
04-22-2007, 12:06 AM
I hate to sound cliché here, but what it's worth is whatever you're willing to pay! :)

Case in point: Last weekend I went to an auction to see a Studebaker Lark wagon for sale. The car was pretty solid, but it was a LONG way from being in "great shape". To me, that car was worth maybe a grand. However, the man who won the car paid over $2200 for it. To him, that was a fair price. Who was wrong? Neither one of us! It just came down to the fact that at that time, his value of that car was higher than mine.

Now, in my estimation, I would put this car at a top value of maybe $1200. But again, that's just my view. There may very well be someone out there who would pay $4000 for the car in a heartbeat and then brag about getting a great deal. It just comes down to your willingness to pay.

--------
Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota

JimC
04-22-2007, 12:06 AM
I hate to sound cliché here, but what it's worth is whatever you're willing to pay! :)

Case in point: Last weekend I went to an auction to see a Studebaker Lark wagon for sale. The car was pretty solid, but it was a LONG way from being in "great shape". To me, that car was worth maybe a grand. However, the man who won the car paid over $2200 for it. To him, that was a fair price. Who was wrong? Neither one of us! It just came down to the fact that at that time, his value of that car was higher than mine.

Now, in my estimation, I would put this car at a top value of maybe $1200. But again, that's just my view. There may very well be someone out there who would pay $4000 for the car in a heartbeat and then brag about getting a great deal. It just comes down to your willingness to pay.

--------
Restoring my grandfather's '60 Lark, one rusted bolt at a time.

Maple Lake, Minnesota

Mark57
04-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Couldn't agree more Jim... I have always said that a collector vehicle is worth whatever the owner is willing to sell it for and whatever the prospective buyer is willing to pay!:)

Mark

Mark57
04-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Couldn't agree more Jim... I have always said that a collector vehicle is worth whatever the owner is willing to sell it for and whatever the prospective buyer is willing to pay!:)

Mark

beatnic
04-22-2007, 03:02 PM
it is not my favorite stude model, i like the 51 and 52 bullet nose 2 dr or 4 dr....

I just dont want to spend to much on it...

how easy would it be to find a 51 front end for it?

what would i need just a hood and fender?
would the original grill work?

I guess both year bumpers would work...

beatnic
04-22-2007, 03:02 PM
it is not my favorite stude model, i like the 51 and 52 bullet nose 2 dr or 4 dr....

I just dont want to spend to much on it...

how easy would it be to find a 51 front end for it?

what would i need just a hood and fender?
would the original grill work?

I guess both year bumpers would work...

Roscomacaw
04-23-2007, 11:20 AM
You're gonna need the fenders, the hood, the front panel (and all it's specific trim) AND the appropriate bumper. The 51 bumper has a different contour to it. Oh! And the splash pan that goes below and in front of the front panel. Also worth noting, the '50 sheet metal won't work, so it's '51 if you want to convert that '52 to a bullet noze.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
04-23-2007, 11:20 AM
You're gonna need the fenders, the hood, the front panel (and all it's specific trim) AND the appropriate bumper. The 51 bumper has a different contour to it. Oh! And the splash pan that goes below and in front of the front panel. Also worth noting, the '50 sheet metal won't work, so it's '51 if you want to convert that '52 to a bullet noze.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe