This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint color

Not too long in the future I will be painting my Hawk....
    I am considering changing the paint color.... original color was black; I am considering something more eye catching like apache Red or even Flamingo. My car is not intended to be a show car...
    Has enyone been though this and what are your thoughts on the importance of originality?? Appreciate any and all comments.

Tks,

Consider wedgewood blue! It's pretty uncommon and is eye-catching. Here's one I used to have. It's the only all wedgewood blue hawk I've ever seen. That's a 1957 color.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Consider wedgewood blue! It's pretty uncommon and is eye-catching. Here's one I used to have. It's the only all wedgewood blue hawk I've ever seen. That's a 1957 color.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

My opinion is to select an original color. Studebaker had some beautiful paint colors
        for the Hawk series and a car pianted in an original color will appeal more if/when
        you decide to sell it. Please go to <www.autocolorlibrary.com>, select Studebaker in the
        car menu and then the year to bring up color charts. There are several reds if you are partial
        to that color.
        My 50 Starlight is "Aero Blue" and the 63 Hawk is "Blue Mist", Both cars have received many
        compliments on their color.
        Keep em factory fresh-there aren't anymore!!

1950 Champion Starlight
        1963 Hawk GT
        Santa Barbara
        CA
        The 1950 Champion Starlight
        Santa Barbara
        CA

Comment

My opinion is to select an original color. Studebaker had some beautiful paint colors
          for the Hawk series and a car pianted in an original color will appeal more if/when
          you decide to sell it. Please go to <www.autocolorlibrary.com>, select Studebaker in the
          car menu and then the year to bring up color charts. There are several reds if you are partial
          to that color.
          My 50 Starlight is "Aero Blue" and the 63 Hawk is "Blue Mist", Both cars have received many
          compliments on their color.
          Keep em factory fresh-there aren't anymore!!

1950 Champion Starlight
          1963 Hawk GT
          Santa Barbara
          CA
          The 1950 Champion Starlight
          Santa Barbara
          CA

Comment

Painting other than an original color will entail under hood, firewall, doorjams, etc. This adds considerably to the cost of your paint job.
            Paint as you wish but talk to your paint jobber and know beforehand what it entails.
            If it's not a showcar and you don't care if the doorjams are black and the car is red, and you are planning on keeping it as a driver for a long time...it's yours. Enjoy it!

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            33 Rockne 10
            51 Commander Starlight
            53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Painting other than an original color will entail under hood, firewall, doorjams, etc. This adds considerably to the cost of your paint job.
              Paint as you wish but talk to your paint jobber and know beforehand what it entails.
              If it's not a showcar and you don't care if the doorjams are black and the car is red, and you are planning on keeping it as a driver for a long time...it's yours. Enjoy it!

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              33 Rockne 10
              51 Commander Starlight
              53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hey, it is your car, do what you want. I like orginal stuff, but if it is not going to be judged, what's the harm in being a little different? I like black. Red is too common for me. I mean my Champ pickup is Carolina Blue (UNC Tarheel color). I don't believe it was on the list for '61 trucks. But it is not a stock truck (R1 engine, T-90 w/od, floor shift, etc.) so what's the harm? It looks good, I get lots of positive comments and even a trophy here and there. Go for what makes you feel good.
                That said, it will be more expensive to change colors, as has already been pointed out.
                Joe Roberts
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Hey, it is your car, do what you want. I like orginal stuff, but if it is not going to be judged, what's the harm in being a little different? I like black. Red is too common for me. I mean my Champ pickup is Carolina Blue (UNC Tarheel color). I don't believe it was on the list for '61 trucks. But it is not a stock truck (R1 engine, T-90 w/od, floor shift, etc.) so what's the harm? It looks good, I get lots of positive comments and even a trophy here and there. Go for what makes you feel good.
                  That said, it will be more expensive to change colors, as has already been pointed out.
                  Joe Roberts
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Tanks for yur comments, they are appreciated. Yes changing the
                    color will entail more work but frankly I think that will seem
                    like a walk in the park after what I have been through (so far)
                    in restoring this car. I have been busy replacing or fixing
                    rusted panels, floorboards, rubber, grnding, leading, sanding, sanding, removing glass, etc. rebuilding rear suspension...you get the picture. So I am really looking forward to painting the car.
                    (someday!). thanks again,

Comment

Tanks for yur comments, they are appreciated. Yes changing the
                      color will entail more work but frankly I think that will seem
                      like a walk in the park after what I have been through (so far)
                      in restoring this car. I have been busy replacing or fixing
                      rusted panels, floorboards, rubber, grnding, leading, sanding, sanding, removing glass, etc. rebuilding rear suspension...you get the picture. So I am really looking forward to painting the car.
                      (someday!). thanks again,

Comment

My 53 Starliner, when I got it was a very faded Shoshone Red. The interior was trashed by the sun.

It is a driver, too and like yours, has a lot of hours in it. I decided that it was my car, not a factory restoration, and I had seen a two-tone color combination that I really liked, so my Stude is now a sweet Barrier Blue and Artic White. I had a new blue and white interior stitched up using a factory pattern but modern materials, and I love it.

Do what you want and be happy.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                        53 Starliner Hardtop
                        Newton Grove, NC

Comment

My 53 Starliner, when I got it was a very faded Shoshone Red. The interior was trashed by the sun.

It is a driver, too and like yours, has a lot of hours in it. I decided that it was my car, not a factory restoration, and I had seen a two-tone color combination that I really liked, so my Stude is now a sweet Barrier Blue and Artic White. I had a new blue and white interior stitched up using a factory pattern but modern materials, and I love it.

Do what you want and be happy.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                          53 Starliner Hardtop
                          Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Ever try to keep a black car clean?? I'd go for the flamingo,-the only '61 in the Studebaker museum is flamingo[I keep going back there,just to see that car!]-cool color!!

LaSalle,Il
                            61Hawk
                            60Lark
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Ever try to keep a black car clean?? I'd go for the flamingo,-the only '61 in the Studebaker museum is flamingo[I keep going back there,just to see that car!]-cool color!!

LaSalle,Il
                              61Hawk
                              60Lark
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X