Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

right and left drum-hubs; why is there a difference??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right and left drum-hubs; why is there a difference??

making my list of 'parts needed' from the Chassis Manual ('57GH).
    Was surprised to see Hub and Drum assembly unique for left side and right side.
    Ditto for the STUD (lug), one number for right wheel hub, different number for left wheel hub.
    Were these originally left and right-hand threads?? My car has all standard threads, but I suppose they could have been incorrectly replaced at some point.

Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
    Were these originally left and right-hand threads??
    They were and that's the only difference in your part numbers.
    They may have been "incorrectly" replaced but, I suspect, they were replaced with all right hand threads because the PO wanted them all the same.
    Left threaded studs and lugs are not difficult to get but may not be stocked without special order. Leave them as they are; just make certain if any old school mechanics attempt to remove a wheel they know you have modernized the original configuration.
    Brand new Freightliner trucks still use left thread studs on the left side.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

thanks. Pretty much what I figured. Unfortunately, whoever 'replaced' the driver's side lugs did so by winding some electrical tape around the serrated diameter to hold them 'snugly' in the hub, and the hubs are ruined. So I need new left-side hubs and lugs..... both front and rear.

Comment

FWIW, there are several diameters of wheel stud serrations. Before junking your existing hubs, get someone who knows how to measure the ID and go to a big NAPA store or someone with an old Dorman catalog. Chances are, there will be a wheel stud with a larger serration, but close the same length and exactly the same thread diameter and pitch. Press in the new ones and you're good to go. BTDT.

The following is NOT recommended but I helped one CASO salvage a hub by tack welding the back of the studs. We bolted on the wheel snugly to position the studs and then tack welded each one in four places. When last seen, the car was still on the road.

jack vines
        Last edited by PackardV8; 10-07-2010, 07:14 PM.
        PackardV8

Comment

Working...
        X