Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti #1 at LeMay Americas Car Museum in Tacoma?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti #1 at LeMay Americas Car Museum in Tacoma?!?

I was just at the "Coffee Cruise in" at the offices of LeMay Americas Car Museum and saw a strangely painted Avanti which drew my attention. It was next to a more normal example, but the docent said it was "Avanti #1" and that they were in talks with the SDC about its restoration. Here are some photos of it in its gaudy current 'non factory' paint.
    It is true is this Avanti #1 ?

55 Commander Regal Coupe
    XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
    KARR (Knightrider)
    Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

lots of posts about a few of those

search avanti auctions and le may avanti, etc http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=tacoma+avanti
    Last edited by (S); 10-07-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

All I want to know is: was the painter able to hold his stomach when he saw the end result of all his hard work?

Nice job
      Poor choice of graphics, metalflake and color IMHO!

1st. or 2000th I don't care, the LaMay Museum has some really great Studebakers, a fantastic collection of Trucks, both light and heavy and many nice unusual cars, I can just ignore this one with no problem!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I do wish they'd put that thing in deep storage until it can be restored.
        As it stands now it's hardly the image Stedebaker, Avanti or the SDC need,
        I'd really hate for someone..anyone...to think that is in any way representative of Avantis.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I've mixed up the posts about le mays avantis, the first avanti, the R3 mule etc..... SDC thread Searches bring them all up for you to sort out.......

Comment

Actually, given the presence nearby of a "normal" Avanti, this circa-1970 timewarp paintjob doesn't bother me much, in fact it makes me smile. Near the end of this past cruise season a '69 Road Runner turned up at Paris, wearing a similar scallops-and-metalflake paintjob (but in browns, maroons and golds). Pure 1973, and boy did it take me back. Turned out I was off by a year: the Mopar had been painted by a well-known customizer in 1972, and the paint had not been touched since. New owner of the car plans not to touch it either...it's such a piece of pop history as is...just like this psychedelic Avanti.

S.

Comment

Brace yourself ... these huge metalflake paints are making a comeback, including the far-out paint schemes. BTW, HotRod mag declared 'brown' the up and coming hot color for cars...no, really they did. Junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Before we get too of topic. I recall those 69' Plymouths, Barracudas for sure, that had the "Mod Top" option. Both the vinyl top and some of the interior had a floral flavor. Kinda rare but I've seen a couple.
                Dean

CLEM

Comment

If it is Avanti #1, someone has retrofitted rain gutters to the roofline.
                  Jim
                  Often in error, never in doubt
                  http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Boy, that brings back memories of seeing it in storage many years ago. The pre-production car that was just auctioned had a similar paint job while in storage. Also in storage was one of the "big bore" blocks.

Comment

Looks like the Hulk and Tinkerbell exploded near that Avanti.

Tom
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I know I'll take a few lumps for this but. The more I see it the better it looks. Some rose colored glasses, long hair, bandanna, with a beard "And Just Drive It Man"

Gordon

Comment

I don't know; it's pretty groovy, real sixties-fabulous. I don't care for it, but in its time it might have looked right. Mostly it looks like an amateur attempt at a flake job.

I'd like to own a car with a quality metalflake paint job. I just can't think of what car I'd want to put it on.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                          X