New guy! with questions!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy! with questions!!

Hello from texas! I am located in lubbock to be specific, am 20 years old and i am a paint technician western collision center. I recently acquired a 1965 Studebaker Commander, it is a 4 door car, in ver good condition considering how long it has sat, iplan on doig a v8 chevy conversion, i was wondering if and where there was any info that would make this swap easier on me? and also it needs wheels and tires, i have a set sitting around off my elcamino and was wondering what the bolt pattern on the studebaker is? thanks for any help!

Thomas
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TexasFunk; 10-06-2010, 08:41 PM.

Welcome to the Stude world. You found the right place to hang out. Your 65 must be a GM 6 cyl model if your thinking about V/8ing it with a Chevy. It will be a bolt in with a few collected parts around here. The wheel bolt pattern in 5 on 4 1/2. Early Ford , Amc, some Dodges ect.

Gordon

Comment

Welcome! That car is perfect for that swap, and looks to be in great shape as you say! More people with experiance in that area I'm sure will chime in soon.
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

If it is in fact a 6 Cyl. it will need the 1 inch larger front and rear V-8 Brakes, V-8 front Springs, V-8 Transmission and V-8 Rear Axle then a 283, 327,350 or 400 small block will go right in just like the 283's did in a real V-8 car with the 283 front engine mount BRACKETS.

There were Commanders, Daytonas, Cruisers and Wagonaires in both 194 6 Cyl. and 283 V-8 some with 3 speed manual with Overdrive.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Cool, another guy that's my age.

Any SBC will fit just fine and is a bolt in with the right mounts and bracketry. You can also buy a disc brake conversion from Jim Turner that isn't too costly, and that sure beats buying up good stock drum brake parts.

Comment

Welcome! I have a '65 Cruiser. I think most of your initial questions have been answered, but when more come to you let us know. I would suggest that you join the SDC (You can do that here on line) and then find and join your local SDC Chapter. This will give you local resources to help with whatever questions you might have.

My Cruiser is a V8 car and as you have been told already the installation of any small block Chevy into your car is realatively easy since that is what was used by Studebaker in '65 and '66. I can't stress more the importance of updating the front suspension and brakes. The suspension doesn't have to be an aftermarket set up as the stock V8 set up is fine. As Matthew says the Turner Disc brakes are well worth considering. I have a set setting on the shelf waiting to be installed on my car. When you join the SDC you will get the Turning Wheels magazine. The classified section and advertisements can be invaluable. Good-luck with the '65 and keep us up to date on your progress.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeRich;493428][B][COLOR="Blue"]If it is in fact a 6 Cyl. it will need the 1 inch larger front and rear V-8 Brakes, V-8 front Springs, V-8 Transmission and V-8 Rear Axle then a 283, 327,350 or 400 small block will go right in just like the 283's did in a real V-8 car with the 283 front engine mount BRACKETS.

Rich.......The 65 & 66 Studebakers with chevy V8s used side mount motor mounts. Chevrolet used the front mount motor mounts on 55 thru 57 only.
              Last edited by 31Streetrod; 10-07-2010, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
                Rich.......The 65 & 66 Studebakers with chevy V8s used side mount motor mounts. Chevrolet used the front mount motor mounts on 55 thru 57 only.
                OK, so that means any '58 to 2010 replacement small block Chev. will fit the side mounts then.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I might add, dropping in a carburated, pre 90's, sbc is easy. LT and LS motors are are more complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    OK, so that means any '58 to 2010 replacement small block Chev. will fit the side mounts then.
                    That is correct Rich. The 55 & 56 265 ci & the 57 283 ci did not have the threaded bosses on the sides for motor mounts.

Comment

thanks for all the replies and info! painted my el camino tonight (finally!) and once the week is over, pulling the stude out and going to get started on it! so many people have asked WHY build a car like that?? no one so far has liked it, plan was paint it flat black with gloss black tribal flames, and wide 18s out back, and some skinnier 18's up front, but now, kind of wanting to go a whole nothing route after seeing pictres of some online! feel free to post pictures of yours! i'd love to see em!

Thomas
                      Last edited by TexasFunk; 10-07-2010, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Fortunately, "getting tarted" on a Studebaker is not that uncommon.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                          Fortunately, "getting tarted" on a Studebaker is not that uncommon.
                          thats what i get for trying to type faster then i can think!

Comment

My 59 has been clocked at over xxx a few times. Be carefull how you build that new engine.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Jose,
                              Visit this forum page for pics of some of our favorite rides.
                              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...baker-Pictures!
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X