Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti arrives at the IoMT

...11:30 PM EST:

Drove it out of the hauler and put it in the garage. Will get a look at it tomorrow after work.

And so it begins.........
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

First drive of an Avanti- impressions

As usual I had a full plate after work; but I did manage to take a ride in the Avanti- my first time ever in one.

She starts right up and runs pretty well; idles a bit low once off the choke. First thing that jumped out at me is how low the wheel is- and therefore close to the seat cushion. I have to slide my right leg under the wheel to get in; no big deal. The brakes are all new and felt good, so I went with confidence and headed to town, about 8 miles round-trip. Runs good and shifts right, and has plenty of pep. Had I wanted I'm sure it would smoke the tires fairly easily. I now know that, given the choice, I would want a bit louder set of mufflers than this has. It currently has no air cleaner, so between that and a rather loud fan I could barely hear the engine. The lifters do tick some; not sure if they need adjusting since I've never owned an R1 previously.

She needs a bit of tinkering mechanically: The steering is a bit dodgy; might be the center pin. As mentioned, she needs a breather and maybe a different fan. The trans. doesn't always lock into Park the first try; that'll need some adjusting. Before I drove to town I took it up the road and back, about a mile. I always watch the gauges; has great oil pressure. But when I pulled in the driveway, the Temp. gauge suddenly climbed quickly from center and then pegged over. She showed no signs of overheating, and a quick look under the hood verified that she wasn't hot. Drove to town and back with no problems, and no overheating. It's missing one of the 'Wheelworks' center caps; found one on eBay with a BIN around $50... haven't decided whether I'm willing to pay that... yet I really need one- IF I decide to stay with those wheels. Still thinkin' on that...

Overall, it was a fun experience to drive. The paint sucks, but I'll enjoy driving it frequently from now until first sign of snow. I'll order the PO and see what color it was originally- it was either maroon or some sh**-brimble brown. I've got to say, I don't hate the very light yellow on it now, so I won't rule it out for the repaint. Maybe somebody will buy it as it sits- I had big plans for the GT I bought off eBay and shipped in from CA, but someone saw it and bought it in 3 days! So I'll sell it now, sell it painted, or somewhere in between; I'm playing it by ear.

Thanks to JDP for another good deal (the trunk is full of stuff I haven't gotten to look through yet), and to Peg Trucking for another successful haul and great service. It's always fun seeing an enclosed hauler pull in carrying another goodie

So far, I'm having fun <GG>
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob

Don't be afraid to post a few pictures. Kinda helps to know what you are talking about.

Bob

Comment

Good point, here you go:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AvantiJDP.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1663688Click image for larger version

Name:	AvantiJDP6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1663687Click image for larger version

Name:	AvantiJDP4.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1663686Click image for larger version

Name:	AvantiJDP7.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1663685
        Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Wow, you just drove it further than I dared. ( 8 miles and it's out of warranty, but I think the temp gauge is a fluke) BTW, the air cleaner is in the trunk (I think) The valves need adjustment as does the shift linkage. The fan is a non stock flex fan without a clutch. Here's Bob's cheap Avanti

Last edited by JDP; 10-06-2010, 06:26 PM.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Paint is easy... $5k to $10k and that's done...

But the steering wheel?
            Welcome to the (non tilt) Avanti world.
            Right leg in...set on the door sill.
            Reach over head with left hand and pull up.
            Lift butt up onto seat.
            Slide right leg under wheel.
            Gyrate (lift from roof with left hand with right hand pulling your butt over)..
            Repeat until you sell the plastic wonder
            You'll get used to it

(copy)
            First thing that jumped out at me is how low the wheel is- and therefore close to the seat cushion. I have to slide my right leg under the wheel to get in; no big deal.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
              Wow, you just drove it further than I dared.
              Hey, as my Dad used to say- No guts, no glory! <GG>
              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Very cool, bet you're going to have a lot of fun with it, and like you I'd have taken it for a drive right off (if worse comes to worse that's what AAA and cell phones are for!)

If it were mine I think I'd go for some different wheels, and the two tone interior is.. interesting.
                Jeff DeWitt
                http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Bams, I recently learned from somebody here that painting a Studebaker red would be good for resale. Have fun with it. I've never driven or sat in an Avanti myself, so reading your first impressions of it is interesting to me. Perhaps in a few years I can afford one....but not in yellow.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                    . I'll order the PO and see what color it was originally- it was either maroon or some sh**-brimble brown.
                    I'm sure someone will have told you by now that in 63 it would have been Avanti Red. Late in the 64 run they added a Maroon...sorry no factory brown for Studebaker Avantis. Sh** or otherwise.

Enjoy...
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Bob, that's a solid looking, straight Avanti with a lot of potential, and an air car to boot. Compared to some that we have done, that will be "a walk in the park". Also you get used to getting in and out of them, but a flareup of an arthritic hip caused me to revert to a brand X for the club fall maple leaf tour this past weekend. I agree that quiet mufflers have no place on an Avanti. I like to hear the rattle of the exhaust on upshifting and exhaust hum on cruise.

Comment

Good frame and hog troughs...everything else is minor compared to them. You're way ahead of the game with those parts solid. The rest is basically what you CHOOSE to do rather than what you HAVE to to.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                          Good point, here you go:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4172[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4171[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4170[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4169[/ATTACH]
                          Bob, your Avanti absolutely has an “Attitude”!!!

Color it “Lamborghini Super Fly Yellow” http://www.lambocars.com/archive/paint.htm then tint the windows as dark as NY State permits, and finally slap a set of Cragar S/S Aluminum & Black http://www.cragar.com/ViewImage.ashx?id=229 wheels on and there is your Avanti with an Attitude!!!

If someone on here [or you know elsewhere] is a Photoshop guru, you can see what your Avanti will look like without spending a single dime.
                          Last edited by Welcome; 10-07-2010, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                            I'm sure someone will have told you by now that in 63 it would have been Avanti Red. Late in the 64 run they added a Maroon...sorry no factory brown for Studebaker Avantis. Sh** or otherwise.

Enjoy...
                            I think the previous owners all had close relatives working for MAACO, the car has had several paint jobs, but pretty sure it was Avanti red when built.
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

Bams, go to the Jegs website: http://www.jegs.com/c/Wheels-Tires/10573/10002/-1
                              or go directly to here: http://www.autowaretech9.net/nextwheels/jegs_ec.htm
                              and you can select a 1963-64 Avanti and choose any body color you want and any wheel that they have to offer for sale. I wish they had Larks and Hawks to choose from....
                              sigpic
                              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                              X