New Avanti Owner- Some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Avanti Owner- Some questions

Hello everyone. I recently purchased 63R1406, an R2 Avanti. I can't stop looking at it! I never thought I would own one. I have a few questions foy you more experienced Avanti owners.
    The Disc brakes are original and have been overhauled in the last 12 years or so by the previous owner. The brakes are leaking as there is no fluid in the Master Cylinder. The previous owner had bought the Turner Brake economy kit to change to the turner brake system. Question is, while the brakes are being serviced, should i go all the way and install the full Turner system or simply get the originals working?
    I bought a new fuel pump for the car as it would only run with gas poured in the carburetor. The guy I bought it from said I shoud install an inline filter on the inlet side of the pump to catch any sediment before it goes into the pump. Do you guys think that is necessary? He was saying sediment in the pump could cause it to put out to much pressure, but I would think it would only hold one of the valves open which would result in less pressure.
    My Studebaker experience is somewhat varied. I owned a 52 Champion for 24 years and a 63 GT Hawk for 16 years. I enjoyed them both and am looking forward to enjoying the Avanti.
    I posted also on the Avanti Owners Forum - I made a Typo and called it an R3 - now I will definetely never own one of those!!
    Thanks

Neil

If you plan to drive the car then install the Turner Kit and shelve the original parts. Plenty of discussion on the topic and opinions vary as to whether the original system in top shape is comparable to the Turner conversion. No doubt in my mind that the Turner system is the way to go and the expense to bring your original system up to par will surprise you.

Most times I wouldn't suggest a filter before the pump without an electric pump because it could make priming the mechanical fuel pump difficult but the fact that the Avanti tank is higher than the fuel pump gravity should keep the filter full. Best thing to do is to have the tank cleaned and sealed because from my expeience fine rust will get through the filter and coat and clog the carb. The "too much pressure" part doesn't make sense to me but if there is enough sediment in the tank you will never be able to filter it out.

ErnieR

Comment

Welcome aboard Neil, you have a couple of well versed Avanti people just down the road, both run R2's and both have years of Avanti experience.
      And they're in the same area code.
      Bill Foy
      1000 Islands, Ontario
      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Neil, first off Welcome! Second, do not throw away that old pump. They are easy to rebuild and getting somewhat rare. I use the clear plastic fuel filter (FRAM G2) so I can see what is being sucked up by the pump. You will be able to gauge what is in your fuel tank by the gunk being pumped through the system.

Based on my limited experience in getting my R2 to come to life again after sitting for over 30 years is to also pull your fuel tank as recommended by Bige. I put off that job to the end of my efforts to get the car running and should done it first thing. The tank was full of gunk and rust, in fact the fuel sender was almost rusted away. The top portion I could see through the filler looked OK, but the bottom third was pure rust. It was not a hard job to pull it, just need to know a couple of tricks. Make sure you replace the rubber coupling between the filler and the tank too. They get dried out and crack, putting fumes into the car. The cost to fix the tank was $140 at the local radiator shop. Here are a couple of before pics of the tank.

My brakes did not work at all, so it was a cost decision to go with the Turner system. They were fun to put on, and now the car stops great. Check those lines also. They rust through on the bends especially in the rear. Replace all 3 rubber hoses too, got mine at CarQuest for about $12 each.

Enjoy your R2. If you need to ask a question and do not have time to post you can email me at unimogjohn@aol.com
        Attached Files
        John
        1963 Avanti R2
        Marshall, VA

Comment

Update on Avanti 63R1406:
          Hello everyone. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and are lookingforward to a happy New Year! I have done quite a bit on the car since first posting, First off, thanks to all the repies I received. I think i have done quite a few things suggested.
          First, I have replaced the fuel pump with a new one I bought from Dave Thibeault. This was part of the problem for sure. Next, I found the outlet to be blocked coming out of the tank which caused me to take the tank out. Next move was to get the tank cleaned on the inside. When it cam back, I got my son to paint it on the outside. The fuel gauge sender was RUBAR'd (Rusted Beyond All Recognition), so I ordered another one and change it before putting the tank back in. I changed all the gasline hoses except the return line at the tank. When that one started to drip and stink up my whole garage I changed it too. The steel lines seemed in decent shape as the previous owner said he had changed them during the 12 years he had the car.
          Next move was to buy a kit for the AFB on ebay. I studied the repair manual, then took the AFB off and then took it apart. I took the wire from a tie wrap to pass through the openings so carefully and also used compressed air. I cannot use the strong cleaners as I have a lung disease which makes me avoid such things. I put it back together and started it up. It ran very lazily and seemed lean. I though about what might be the trouble and thought maybe it is only filling one side of the carburetor. So I carefully took the screws out and lifted the top off. Sure enough, that was what was wrong. Before I lifted it off, I took out the two stepped metering rods to avoid damaging them. I put the new neddle and seat valves in and reset the floats and checked them for squareness as per the manual. I then put the top back on and very carefully put the stepped metering rods, pistons and springs back in. I then started it up and it ran very well. The only bugs yet to get out of the carburetion are the linkage to set the choke - I did not get it together right and I need to rotate it by hand to set it, and the accelerator pump and seal need to be worked on. I ordered and accelerator pump for an eldebrock carburetor, but it is to big to work. I have an email into studebaker International to see if I can get one there. The check valve on the inlet side of the pump - I am not able to get it out of the carburetor base, but it seeems ok.
          It has been a fun time working on it. I consider myself very priveldged to work on such a special car and even more to own it.
          The end result of all this good work was the Avanti got demoted from the garage to one of my back sheds to spend the winter. I am looking at changeing the torque boxes next to the CE SS multi piece ones. Then it will be painted. Both of these jobs I will farm out.
          Next will be new carpet, then the Turner brake conversion (I have all the pieces now except the pads and calipers) then the dual master cylinder (already ordered and received). Incidentally, when I first got it, it had "Brakes by Toyota" (none), but I added brake fluid to the master cylinder and with a few pumps, they came back and are ok for moving around the yard.
          The next moves will be safety check, apraisal then licensing as well as new carpeting. I hope to have it on the road by spring with the Ontario antique vehicle plates - something that limits its use some, but cuts the insurance costs a lot.
          It has been a pure pleasure to work at and I am definetely looking forward to driving it and making it just a little better every year.
          Regards
          Neil

Comment

Glad to hear you're making headway....too bad about winter.

Since you are ordering parts out of the US you may want to check out....www.kineck.com by picking your stuff up in Massena you can save a bunch on shipping.
            Bill Foy
            1000 Islands, Ontario
            1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Unimogjohn in a reply above is perhaps too modest - check out his blog at

if you haven't found it already. It will give you plenty of ideas on how to deal with whatever you
              might find that your car needs.

Good luck (and enjoy your Avanti)
              Last edited by JimK; 12-27-2010, 08:35 PM.
              Jim K.
              63 Hawk

Comment

Since you have the Turner setup .. you might as well go with that, BUT those stock calipers
                are easy to rebuild (not sure what the kit costs now but its just two rubber parts per caliper).
                If the brakes were gone through, they might have perfectly good bores, and a kit will make
                them good as new. You might take the wheel cylinders off and disassemble them to see. It
                cant hurt .. since you may just replace them anyway. If the bores are smooth : rebuild. It is
                easier than installing the Turner setup.

Oh .. and also .. the calipers have stops on them to keep the pistons from coming out of the
                bore as the pad gets to thin. We bought a '78 Avanti years ago with no front brakes (it was
                like no brakes), we went to look at the car, pulled a wheel, saw the thin pads, I zipped over
                to a parts dealer in LA, drove back to the Avanti, put the pads in, and drove it home. He was
                selling it CHEAP because of the cost he was quoted for ALL NEW BRAKES. Eventually my dad
                drove that car all the way to Michigan and years later sold it.

Tom
                Last edited by sbca96; 12-27-2010, 09:40 PM.
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Bill, thanks for the idea. I am buying the CE torque boxes, so something like that would be great. When i click on the link, it says the domain is for sale. Have you used it recently?
                  Regards

Neil Grant

Comment

Working...
                  X